**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Mixing is a big no no :eek: IMO a car becomes unstable in high speed corners you could even get a ticket from the police if they pull you over for something else! Its just not worth it get 4 matched tyres for maximum safety or drive slower on your existing tyres!!

Caporegime
You shouldn't really mix winter and summer tyres.

Mixing different summer tyres together, or different winter tyres together, is generally fine though as long as they match across the axle.

Soldato
OK - maybe the mixed summer+all season idea is out, then, but, with a couple of inopportune write-off punctures over the past years,
I'm never in the position to have 4 summer tyres all at the same wear level, simultaneously needing replacing.

Caporegime
Are Avon ZV7 tyres in the size 215/55R16 any good for wet grip?

In my experience Avons are mediocre, but better than most similarly priced tyres which tend to be of the ditchfinder variety. Reviews look fairly good. Perhaps someone who has tried them will be along shortly.

What car / type of driving?

Last edited:
Associate
Are Avon ZV7 tyres in the size 215/55R16 any good for wet grip?
I have those on our Fabia, and they are good tyres overall. Replaced some bridgestone tyres at the rear and Nexen tyres at the front. Car feels more comfortable, less cabin noise, and a bit more feedback. Downside is a bit more fuel consumption. Went from managing 55mpg on the motorway to 50mpg. In terms of grip, I don’t tend to drive the Fabia very hard, but they are fine.

Soldato
2's don't seem to be priced up yet on UK sites, but maybe the deals on CC+, are because of their arrival ...

Home fitting of tyres, is this a big red flag ?
Are you likely to get an inferior balancing job, it would seem I could get all-in home fitment with Halfords, for the same price as a shop visit(to any of Halfords, KF, National) avoiding 40mile round trip.

Soldato
Go for it then I recon.

How much are they each though?

£75 fitted each at ATS. I really wanted something like CrossClimates all round which I was discussing a couple of months ago but the price just seems huge. Plus the 2 front tyres are still nearly new where as the rear 2 are mismatched unknown brands. Also the Avon's are A-rated for wet.

Soldato
Really poor driving weather in the south east part of UK today but these Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 are amazing tyres :D:eek: so much grip even in heavy rain! Went through a lot of standing surface water but these tyres still had fantastic grip they are a really decent tyre wet or dry! Saw a lot of bad accidents as well sadly where drivers either got caught out or were not driving at a sensible speed (some people still seem to drive way too fast when the rain is falling so heavily you can hardly see the road or any vehicle tail lights but they carry on regardless doing well over 80 mph :().

Caporegime
Not driving at a sensible speed, and likely had poor tyres. The fact that the majority of drivers have ditchfinders, often mismatched even across the same axle, makes me wonder why I bother.

If I stop in time with my Continentals on my ****box, someone in a 5 year old BMW with a Triangle, a Three-A, a bald Linglong and a winter tyre mounted backwards will crash into the back of me anyway. :p

Soldato
Not driving at a sensible speed, and likely had poor tyres. The fact that the majority of drivers have ditchfinders, often mismatched even across the same axle, makes me wonder why I bother.

If I stop in time with my Continentals on my ****box, someone in a 5 year old BMW with a Triangle, a Three-A, a bald Linglong and a winter tyre mounted backwards will crash into the back of me anyway. :p

I had a 207 once that came with 4 mismatched tyres and one of the rears was a winter tyre, don't know what that was all about!

Caporegime
I had a 207 once that came with 4 mismatched tyres and one of the rears was a winter tyre, don't know what that was all about!

My first Corolla had one winter tyre lol. Cant remember what the rest were.

My second Corolla had a pair of them on the front. They were decent and fairly new so I sold them. Bit odd.

Soldato

Hope they are insured if that happens :p

Yesterday as well in heavy rain on the M25 between junctions 8-10 hope they were ok but someone had hit another vehicle :eek: as the entire front of their car was mangled & a massive curve shape was where the bonnet & part of the engine used to be facing the wrong way in the middle of the M25 :eek: the other vehicle had a destroyed rear end so clearly 1 hit the other then span & hit something else along the way. The closing speed difference must have been huge for there to be so much damage & carnage though :eek:

Again today same stretch of M25 going east this time lots of standing water & I counted at least 4 serious accidents (multiple ambulances, police & traffic officers) in a short stretch of M25 between 7-8 (I was going in the other direction having my pre lockdown 2.0 :rolleyes: day out cancelled by heavy rain :() these drivers just do not appear to understand the simple concept of slow down if its raining heavily & go in the slow lane is a better option than getting somewhere slightly faster with high risk speed in surface water conditions :eek::rolleyes: Even at 50-60 when you go through surface water you never really know how your car will react even if it has the greatest tyres man ever created an oil film under the water surface can cause a very fast loss of tyre grip :eek:

Back
Top Bottom