**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Just priced mine up at the local F1 centre. 2x 225/40/19 & 2x 255/35/19.
After discounts comes in at £618. Should be able to drop that by another £8 as that includes disposal of my old tyres (runflats) which I want back as the still have 4-5mm all round & can sell them on.

UPDATE
Had a chat with Kwik Fit this morning & they have offered the same tyres fully fitted for £578

One thing I noticed, they have the same tyres listed 3 times, only difference I can see is fitment is listed for Ford, BMW & Hyundai

Ford fitting is £30 cheaper, but as far as I can see the tyre is identical. Any idea why this would be?

For £30 go with the BMW star rated tyres (assuming it’s a BMW you have the run flats on). I’ve just done the same swap and when reading up on it a few owners commented the star rated tyres have slightly different tread profile on the outer edge of the front tyres to suit the wheel alignment of BMWs. I take this with a pinch of salt as no one posted a picture but for the minor price difference I stuck with the star tyres as it may save hassle if I have a drivetrain issue where you bet if you have no star rated tyres they will blame them first.

The road noise and ride are noticeably better than the Bridgestone run flats I had on.

Soldato
For £30 go with the BMW star rated tyres (assuming it’s a BMW you have the run flats on). I’ve just done the same swap and when reading up on it a few owners commented the star rated tyres have slightly different tread profile on the outer edge of the front tyres to suit the wheel alignment of BMWs. I take this with a pinch of salt as no one posted a picture but for the minor price difference I stuck with the star tyres as it may save hassle if I have a drivetrain issue where you bet if you have no star rated tyres they will blame them first.

The road noise and ride are noticeably better than the Bridgestone run flats I had on.

Thanks, yep it's 430d GC x-drive I'll be fitting them to.

I too have Bridgestones on at the moment, nothing wrong with them TBH, but then I've been used to driving a 1.2 TSI Skoda for 5 years (the wifes car I hasten to add!)
So they don't have a lot to live up to really!

Man of Honour
I stuck with star rated tyres for years simply because I couldn't be bothered with the potential arguments should I have a warranty issue with the diff or something. I finally stopped using them a year ago because they didn't do them in my size, but I'd still have stuck with them if it were possible.

Soldato
Got a set of Nankang NS2-Rs in 195/50/15 arriving tomorrow I'll take nextdoor to get fitted. Bargain really at 300 for the 4. I have them on my S4 in the summer and Vredestein Wintracs for winter. I loved the NS2-Rs for their summer grip and as this is mainly for "track", I don't mind the useless wet handling, noise or poor wear :p as long as she sticks more than the crappy wheels on there now!

Soldato
At the end of the day they are budget tyres, but in fairness they are one of the better ones out there.

If you can afford to, maybe get some proper branded tyres on and sell the others as part worns?

If not or you feel comfortable enough with the tyres then use them.

I have only ever had “Premium” branded tyres so initially was worried but so far they appear to be adequate enough however I have tested the limits in various conditions to get a feel for their capabilities.

The weather is improving so going to put some miles on them and in the near future replace with some Michelin PS4’s which I believe can be had for £110 each through Cosco in size 235/35/19.

If they are sticking budget tyres on what else are they scrimping on?

I'd ask them to put tyres of the similar level.of what they came as factory or atleast of a make you know... Even something like Avon.

Or alternatively get a price for tyres you are happy with and get them to knock it off the car price.

Is it a main dealer?

No it wasn’t a main dealer but a well known/reputable “Premium” car dealer. I would have preferred going through a dealer for the 2 years approved used warranty but I was being offered a generous part ex change price via them.

I think with how the deal was setup and with them being a set of optional wheels they had 4 new tyres fitted for sale, the vehicle is 1 owner with FSH by the dealer with only 17,000 miles on the clock so not representative of how they maintain vehicles as the last car which needed tyres before sale had Pirelli’s put on by then to specification of dealer recommendations whilst every vehicle is independently checked by a 3rd party etc.

I think initially the term “Ditch Finders” stuck in my head but they appear to be not terrible.

But in other circumstances I would have pushed for better tyres.

Last edited:
Soldato
As this thread is massive and annoyingly PS4S are not available in my desired size, what's the next best thing?

I currently have (and hate) Dunlop Sport Maxx in 245/40/18 on the standard STi alloys - 18x8.5 ET55. Ideally I'll be going to 18x9-9.5 in the future but opting for 255 or 265 width, but sticking with 18s makes me miss out on the PS4S :(

Soldato
As this thread is massive and annoyingly PS4S are not available in my desired size, what's the next best thing?

I currently have (and hate) Dunlop Sport Maxx in 245/40/18 on the standard STi alloys - 18x8.5 ET55. Ideally I'll be going to 18x9-9.5 in the future but opting for 255 or 265 width, but sticking with 18s makes me miss out on the PS4S :(

You can get Goodyear F1 Super Sports in those sizes, they have beaten the PS4S in some reviews.

Soldato
I'm old enough to remember when Yoko's were the ONLY tyres worth getting in the 90's and early 00's... everyone used to swear by them now no one buys them. How times change!

Yokohamas were one of the those tyres that everyone talked about but they weren't that brilliant. The best UHP tyre in the late 90s was the Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position which won the Autocar tyre test two events running, and its successor the S-03 was equally as good.

Soldato
Hi all,

Need a new set for the MX5 and currently thinking PS4's. But i've seen that the Kumho KU39's get mentioned/recommended a lot (for the MX5) at half the price but does anyone know if the Kumho KU39 is still produced (my Googleing is failing me and i'm just getting links to part-worns on eBay)? And has anyone used and/or would recommend them?

Alternatively, the Kumho PS71 is supposedly a better/newer tyre; has anyone had any experience with those?

Soldato
Hi all,

Need a new set for the MX5 and currently thinking PS4's. But i've seen that the Kumho KU39's get mentioned/recommended a lot (for the MX5) at half the price but does anyone know if the Kumho KU39 is still produced (my Googleing is failing me and i'm just getting links to part-worns on eBay)? And has anyone used and/or would recommend them?

Alternatively, the Kumho PS71 is supposedly a better/newer tyre; has anyone had any experience with those?

Goodyear F1A5, as good (probably better for an MX5) as the PS4, leagues above any Kumho, and splits the price between them.

Soldato
4x Michelin pilot 4S fitted this morning.
All in £580 which I thought was pretty good.

Let's see how much of an improvement they are over the bridgestone run flats they replace.

If anyone is in the market for 4x used runflats let me know! :D

Soldato
Awesome, cheers for the recommendation :)

I have the Goodyear albeit on a Skoda Superb. Ive stuck with these as I've found them better than the Conti or Michelin counterparts. I found they offered great grip in wet conditions and I usually get around 20k from these and around 17-18k from the others.

Soldato

Did you make a decision on tyre choice?

I'm putting 18s on my RA when it's finished and need to pick a tyre. Leaning toward PS4.

Back
Top Bottom