**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
Got my F1A5s fitted yesterday, a noticeable early difference so good choice and thanks to all those who’ve recommended them... Only negative is a load of unsightly weights on two of the Alloys and several strong sticky marks where the old ones were removed.

One bit of knowledge I picked up when reading or searching for “excessive weight balance” was the yellow dots you see on some tyres. The yellow dots should be lined up with the valves, (the dot indicates the lightest part of the tyre) now my old tyres had distinctive yellow dots on the side wall so I ran out to check the new tyres were lined up but there were no dots...

On searching some more I discovered top branded tyres do not have or need these dots, they’re more uniformed. Forgive me if I’m stating the obvious to the majority, I just never realised

Associate
Another Tyre Question - We picked up the wife's new car today, a 2015 Jeep Renegade. It passed the MOT but had an advisory, one of the tyres has perished a little on the outside wall, consider replacing. I'm a bit surprised it passed to be honest.

The tyre in question is a Michelin Primacy 3 on the rear, the opposite rear which has a virtually new tyre is a Michelin Cross Climate.

The two front tyres are both Bridgestone, one a Turanzer and the other a Dueler HP both virtually new.

The wife won't ever drive the car hard, I am going to replace the perished Primacy 3 for a Cross Climate to match but what about the other front two being different tread patterns? If I am going to change them all to match I think i'd be better sticking to Bridgestone as the cross climate tread pattern seems to collect a lot of stones and I read elsewhere someone complaining how the puncture easily due to the tread pattern being 'good' at finding nails, screws and other sharp objects?

Man of Honour
The tyre in question is a Michelin Primacy 3 on the rear, the opposite rear which has a virtually new tyre is a Michelin Cross Climate.
The two front tyres are both Bridgestone, one a Turanzer and the other a Dueler HP both virtually new.

oh dear, unless the dealer replaced 3 tyres with random tyres in their stock (which is certainly possible), that's a sign of a poorly maintained car lol.
definitely wouldn't be mixing all season and summer tyres.

Soldato
Another Tyre Question - We picked up the wife's new car today, a 2015 Jeep Renegade. It passed the MOT but had an advisory, one of the tyres has perished a little on the outside wall, consider replacing. I'm a bit surprised it passed to be honest.

The wife won't ever drive the car hard, I am going to replace the perished Primacy 3 for a Cross Climate to match but what about the other front two being different tread patterns? If I am going to change them all to match I think i'd be better sticking to Bridgestone as the cross climate tread pattern seems to collect a lot of stones and I read elsewhere someone complaining how the puncture easily due to the tread pattern being 'good' at finding nails, screws and other sharp objects?

Tbh I would just get 4 new tyres for peace of mind. You have a strange selection of tyres on there…

Soldato
Anyone got any experience of the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport? Its getting good reviews and wondering whether its worth considering over Michelin PS4S.
Rear tyres on my car will need doing soon, so assessing my options.

Soldato
Anyone got any experience of the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport? Its getting good reviews and wondering whether its worth considering over Michelin PS4S.
Rear tyres on my car will need doing soon, so assessing my options.
Only the old Potenzas ... but was never a huge fan tbh!
Reviews look good though? https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Auto-Bild-19-inch-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
Currently running P Zeros which get loads of stick, bloody grippy around the twisty bits in Snowdonia yesterday :)

Man of Honour
Contemplating moving Cup 2 to PSS4S but sadly they do not seem to do 325 rears :(

Cup 2 is epic.....when the weather is good and you can heat them up. I think for most conditions the PSS4S would be better. Deep puddles and Cup's are deathmatch 2000

Soldato
Contemplating moving Cup 2 to PSS4S but sadly they do not seem to do 325 rears :(

Cup 2 is epic.....when the weather is good and you can heat them up. I think for most conditions the PSS4S would be better. Deep puddles and Cup's are deathmatch 2000
I think @kindai found some 355 rears for his, which aren't listed on the Michelin website? Maybe worth talking to some tyre people to see if they can get something?

Soldato
Just spent £350 today (getting fitted on Friday) on 2 rears for the Mercedes. The currents match the fronts being Conti SC5 SSRs but they have worn really fast so gone for Potenza S001s to replace. Fronts will likely be changed too when they get low.

I thought about going non run flat but I read that the car is all setup for run flats and you can ruin handling by not using them. Unsure if that's BS but I had to make a choice today. I was looking at PS4s but no run flat option unless I missed it...

Man of Honour
I have concluded that Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres are too compromised if you use your car in all conditions in British weather on British roads. If you only use your special car on sunny warm days or to drive to a track then fine, but outside of those windows PS4S would be a better choice I feel. Based on 3000 miles in all conditions.

2LYSUN5.png

v

DI6vZ1k.png

That extra channel and one assumes different compound means everything on wet roads.

Man of Honour
@Housey

if your using car on public roads, the cups are not a good idea as you have discovered, i would get a set of Pilot Sport 4 (non s)

see the video i posted above
I am trying to see if I can get PS4's in my required size. The Cup 2 is safe in most conditions, it's not like the old Cup's but deep water as we have had a lot of lately is a real risky situation. I had to slow down the other day to sill speeds on the A50 as I sensed aquaplaning and just as I did I saw an M4 facing the wrong way smashed up after catching a water lake on none Cup tyres I would assume. They also need heat to work well and when they have that in the summer they are incredible but I also think the slightly softer side walls of the PS4's would make the ride better on bumpy roads. Gonna get a second set of wheels but they are £6K so not a priority

Soldato
PS4 (& S) have quite a bit more tread depth than Cup2 as well...almost 8mm vs ~6mm IIRC, which along with the additional channels will make a big difference in their ability to clear water, plus as you say the different compound that doesn't need heat to work.

Soldato
I have concluded that Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres are too compromised if you use your car in all conditions in British weather on British roads. If you only use your special car on sunny warm days or to drive to a track then fine, but outside of those windows PS4S would be a better choice I feel. Based on 3000 miles in all conditions.

2LYSUN5.png

v

DI6vZ1k.png

That extra channel and one assumes different compound means everything on wet roads.
Those black rims are sweet!

Man of Honour
PS4 (& S) have quite a bit more tread depth than Cup2 as well...almost 8mm vs ~6mm IIRC, which along with the additional channels will make a big difference in their ability to clear water, plus as you say the different compound that doesn't need heat to work.
I think the PS4S is a superb tyre. Put them on my R8 instead of the Pirelli's it came with, vastly superior.

Back
Top Bottom