Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
Yeah instant disable of the new 'improved' address bar (I did what's in the spoiler below).... reddit is quite comical at the moment because the 'devs' (or those that seem linked to mozilla) just don't seem to like the fact that this address bar is basically being panned, it wasn't liked in the nightlies either supposedly...

Worst thing is that it seems the options to disable it are being removed in a future update (which might push me to edge chromium).... it's almost like Firefox/Mozilla doesn't want to keep it's users.... and imo it seems that the dev's want to go down the 'apple model' of you use the program this way, our way is the only way that is right, all while ignoring part of why people use firefox (and lets be honest, most firefox users are more tech savvy) is that 'customisation'...

Not to mention the address bar changes are a 'privacy' nightmare, not everyone will want their most popular sites popping up all the time....

• browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus
  • browser.urlbar.update1
  • browser.urlbar.update1.interventions
  • browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips

V F

V F

Soldato
It feels like they're trying to appease the mobile generation while forcing it on desktop users?

Soldato
Yeah instant disable of the new 'improved' address bar (I did what's in the spoiler below).... reddit is quite comical at the moment because the 'devs' (or those that seem linked to mozilla) just don't seem to like the fact that this address bar is basically being panned, it wasn't liked in the nightlies either supposedly...

Worst thing is that it seems the options to disable it are being removed in a future update (which might push me to edge chromium).... it's almost like Firefox/Mozilla doesn't want to keep it's users.... and imo it seems that the dev's want to go down the 'apple model' of you use the program this way, our way is the only way that is right, all while ignoring part of why people use firefox (and lets be honest, most firefox users are more tech savvy) is that 'customisation'...

Not to mention the address bar changes are a 'privacy' nightmare, not everyone will want their most popular sites popping up all the time....

• browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus
  • browser.urlbar.update1
  • browser.urlbar.update1.interventions
  • browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips
I have increased the default amount of lines/addresses from 10 to 15, just because it's more convenient for me. Although the new address bar appears different, it seems to behave in a similar way to the old address bar except that it's bigger and has no drop-down arrow.

Changing browser.urlbar.update1 to false has given me the old address bar back. It's no big deal if the new one returns, except it is horrible in appearance.

Soldato
I have increased the default amount of lines/addresses from 10 to 15, just because it's more convenient for me. Although the new address bar appears different, it seems to behave in a similar way to the old address bar except that it's bigger and has no drop-down arrow.

Changing browser.urlbar.update1 to false has given me the old address bar back. It's no big deal if the new one returns, except it is horrible in appearance.

To be honest, I didn't get 'all' of the update when it was updated because I'd already done some tweaks to remove some annoyances of the old bar (all the search rubbish basically), but it wasn't showing the same results as before for me personally and the results it was showing were 'worse' than the old ones too.

Soldato
Switched to firefox recently on my Windows 10 install as I was using it on Ubuntu, have to say it's fine! Runs well, only thing I did was as stated above by turning off that silly address bar animation.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Anyone use Firefox on mobile and log into their Google Account through it? Can you check something out?

I noticed an LG Nexus 5 on my list of signed in devices on Google's account management and was puzzled. After some trawling the web it turns out for some reason either Firefox on mobile is broadcasting its device type as a Nexus 5 to Google, or Google is reading the sign in as a Nexus 5 lol.

I've since tested this by signing the device out through account management then signing into Google again on Firefox on my phone and then watching as the signed in devices refreshes to show a newly added LG Nexus 5...

There seems to be no answer to how to solve this so it is something between Google and Mozilla I guess?

GoogleNexus5.jpg

Caporegime
Might be forced to move to firefox again as chrome has this annoying problem where any fullscreen videos and my screen goes dim...... Checked settings, add ons etc. and can't fix it....

EDIT:

Chrome beta works ok though....

Soldato
I've been using the DNS over HTTPS feature within FF for quite a while now but always get 3/4 options as green and the last one is red and always assumed that was normal.

Run this browser test.

Are any of you able to get all four as green?

I know there is an option to turn on encrypted sni but I'm wondering why this isnt on by default considering they are giving you the option to use DNS over HTTPS in the first place.

There is this blog here form 2018 talking about a nightly feature... but it's been two years now so why isn't this turned on by default.

Perhaps this feature isn't ready yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom