Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
Hardware acceleration is hidden under the performance heading in general settings. You have to untick use recommended performance settings, but it is on by default anyway.
Oh derp, so it is, for some reason my brain totally blanked that out even though I already had the recommeneded settings unticked.

For those with Nvidia cards, will you still need to set GPU affinity via the Nvidia control panel / Experience program? I have an onboard Intel HD 4600 and a dedicated GTX 960M. On Firefox 56 and below, I found that HTML5 worked much better when I set Firefox's GPU affinity to the GTX card.

Soldato
Don't have a laptop with Nvidia but with my previous laptop using Intel/AMD, I had to set FF to use the AMD GPU instead of the Intel IGP which gave better performance. Was an Ivy Bridge IGP and a 5650M if I remember correctly.

Soldato
This could end up doing more damage to what's left of the FF user base than help, the general response to it I'm hearing from friends who still use FF is "firefox is destroying basically all its addons on nov 14, there goes any reason not to move to chrome".

Soldato
Agree, am waiting to see if someone sets up an archive of older FF non-webextension add-ons(and even releases) otherwise will have to archive what I use in case I need a re-install.

If they are crippling noscript & other add blockers, that is a problem too.

Soldato
I have not tried UBO but was suspicious - quick google - but I guess it is working fine for you.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/11/ad_blocker_bypass_code/
https://github.com/gorhill/uBO-Extra/wiki/Sites-on-which-uBO-Extra-is-useful#instart-logic
- maybe UBO-extra is the solution
UBO extra is not needed due to the extra APIs Firefox introduce, so it's already built in to the main extension.

The WE version of NoScript is currently expected to be released before stable 57 rolls out: https://noscript.net/getit

Before Firefox 57 is released in the stable channel, a pure WebExtension NoScript will be available an you'll be automatically migrated to it.

Thanks Orcvader about the GPU affinity query.

Guys - how are you getting on with add-ons? Which of yours have now 57-ready?

The first of mine to go 57-ready was Imagus. If you don't have Imagus, I highly recommend it. It works on Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, Wordpress... basically any site that shows thumbnailed pictures, and hovering your mouse over the thumbnail will fetch the largest available version of that image. It saves faffing about with multiple mouse clicks and editing URL modifiers e.g. filename.jpg?scl=2&hei=1024. Flickr is the web site where Imagus shines the most imo.

uBlock was the next one to go 57-ready for me, which I've used for years, and I think that the general advice was that AdBlock users would need to switch over to uBlock.

Middle Click To Go Back is an add-on that maps the middle mouse button to the browser's back command. It's absolutely essential to me being partially sighted as I'm not having to look for visual cues. When you're on the 1st page of the forwards/backwards trail and you press the middle mouse button again, it closes the tab which is great too. Middle Click To Go Back did go 57-ready a few days ago, but it's nowhere near as effective as it used to be. Sometimes (intermittently), pressing the middle mouse button will open the up/down/left/light scroll circle which is the default action of the middle button and I don't want that. Any suggestions?

Hide Scrollbars. Yes, desktop user here, but I don't like scrollbars as I just use the mouse wheel to scroll. Hide Scrollbars said that it won't make the jump to 57, so here is a workaround if you don't like scrollbars. You need to go to your Firefox folder, and navigate to ...Firefox\Data\profile\chrome and create a file called userChrome.js and insert this code:

Code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

#content browser {
 margin-right: -17px !important;
 margin-bottom: -17px !important;
 overflow-y: scroll;
 overflow-x: hidden;
}

The -17 bit is a measure of pixels, so try a few different numbers until both scrollbars disappear.

MHT files - there are 2 add-ons for this: Mozilla Archive Format and unMHT. I save a lot of web pages into single MHT files (HTML that contains embedded pictures / media) into a single file as opposed to lots of separate files, and I want to carry on doing this. Neither of the add-ons have gone 57-ready yet, so just wondered if you know of any alternatives?

Any replacements for Greasemonkey? I use numerous scripts and the ol' Monkey isn't 57-ready yet.

New Tab Homepage. On a default Firefox install, the tabs will open up a speed dial / suggestions type page. Instead, I use a local file, and I used to be able to go to about:config, look for the key browser.newtab.url and enter in D:\Online\Start.html. A Firefox update 1 or 2 years back "broke" this, and so I had to use New Tab Homepage to work around this. This isn't 57-ready yet either, so will need something else to carry on doing this. Even bloody Internet Exploder can do this, so not sure why Firefox can't!

Think that's pretty much all of the add-ons I need updating. There are 2 or 3 others but they are superficial.

Soldato
For middle click to go back, my mouse itself has a couple of buttons on the side, easily reachable with my thumb which does back/forward so never felt the need to use an addon for it. Besides, I heavily depend on middle click to open links in a new tab :p.

Violentmonkey is 57 ready and is also open source. GM will change the way it runs scripts when it moves over so some legacy scripts may not work, but VM will have compatibility support for them.

All of my addons are pretty much 57 ready but I had to give up on an Imgur rehoster. There's the inbuilt Firefox screenshot which works nicely but I don't feel like I'm in full control with my images hosted on Mozilla.

Soldato
interesting set of add-ons

MHT files - there are 2 add-ons for this: Mozilla Archive Format and unMHT. I save a lot of web pages into single MHT files (HTML that contains embedded pictures / media) into a single file as opposed to lots of separate files, and I want to carry on doing this. Neither of the add-ons have gone 57-ready yet, so just wondered if you know of any alternatives?
how come you do not bookmark extensively ? you want persisant local copies I guess
many web sites I use have text over multiple pages you would have to click through; saving them as web-pages which would be difficult to organise.
- I usually use a browser in conjunction with one note , where I snip text/image sections too one note, and it also pastes the page url too.

you have not listed a vertical tab add-on either - is that a given ?

Thanks Orcvader and Jpaul.

- middle button - yes I think a mouse like yours would do the trick for me. Bear in mind that middle click to open links into a new tab still works. The add-on works so that if I middle click anywhere that isn't a link, it goes back by 1 page. Or if it's already the 1st or only page in the tab, it closes that tab and takes you to the last tab you saw.

- Greasemonkey - cheers for the heads up on Violentmonkey. I'll have a play with both, and I'll also look at bookmarklets as well. They are bookmarks that contain Javascript inside of the bookmark itself which activates upon clicking on that bookmark.

- Imgur rehoster - that sounds pretty useful. Didn't know that existed. It will be handy for posting memes on OcUK GD section :p

- Firefox screenshot facility - I'm not keen on that myself either. For full control (without needing an add-on), is open the dev console (shift +F2), click on spanner icon, click on the cog icon, then scroll down to "available toolbox options" and tick the screenshot option. This will add a camera icon left of the cog. Pressing the camera icon will capture the entire page (seen and unseen) and save to your default download folder as a PNG :)

- MHT files - I don't keep permanent bookmarks, just use it as a temp / landing area. Then apart from that, I have the bookmarklets as explained above. Pages that I probably won't go to again but want to re-read are the ones that I'll MHT up. For permanent web sites that I visit most days, I have a local HTML page that I set as my home page. I have very poor eyesight, so visual cues work better for me than written.

CEKb4Ng.png

- vertical tabs - it does sound very useful to me as I would like them separate from the address bar, again an eyesight issue for me. When I tried an add-on for that though, it didn't work. Do you have one that you can recommend Jpaul and is 57-ready?

Soldato
- vertical tabs - it does sound very useful to me as I would like them separate from the address bar, again an eyesight issue for me. When I tried an add-on for that though, it didn't work. Do you have one that you can recommend Jpaul and is 57-ready?

have not identified a 57 ready version yet, contender is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/vertigo-tabs/?src=search
since my current one
Vertical Tabs (Simplified)
is not yet compatible.

but current one, pictured below, makes good use of a landscape screen, and can probably increase site icon size, for better visibility.

37796649201_438c853241_o_d.jpg

- Firefox screenshot facility - I'm not keen on that myself either.
I use screen clipper that comes with one note (meta s - then rubberband it)

@ 40Four - the YouTube controls look ok for me, despite me using a minimum of size 24 (huge!) fonts.

FkdxIuB.png

@ Jpaul - thanks for the vertical tabs suggestion. I use Firefox in fullscreen pretty much 100%, so I would need the tabs to auto-hide when my arrow isn't on that part of the screen. The defaults horizontal tabs will auto-hide but not as vertical.

Violentmonkey is 57 ready and is also open source. GM will change the way it runs scripts when it moves over so some legacy scripts may not work, but VM will have compatibility support for them.

- Greasemonkey - cheers for the heads up on Violentmonkey. I'll have a play with both, and I'll also look at bookmarklets as well. They are bookmarks that contain Javascript inside of the bookmark itself which activates upon clicking on that bookmark.

Just a heads up guys that Violentmonkey seems a viable and 57-ready replacement to Greasemonkey. I was using an anti-adblock killer script for GM, and they have updated it so it works with VM too.

https://gitlab.com/xuhaiyang1234/AAK-Cont#installation-instruction

Just follow the instructions there according to which adblocker you use (uBlock in my case). There is also a link on that page to a site where you can test the script.

Other scripts I use but haven't yet tested on VM are Pinterest without registration, Instagram helper, and remove Facebook trending topics. Stuff that makes those sites look a bit clearer to me.

Permabanned
Just giving this a bump. The official release is close and a few of my add-ons still need to be sorted, but they're supposed to be coming so I'll be sticking with Firefox over Chrome.

Back
Top Bottom