Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
Damn, I use Tab Groups and have a heap (far too many) tab groups open in the background, but the dev isn't supporting the extension any longer. Need to figure out what to do with them.

Long term you would have to switch to one of the Firefox forks that are keeping the old add-on system.

Soldato
Damn, I use Tab Groups and have a heap (far too many) tab groups open in the background, but the dev isn't supporting the extension any longer. Need to figure out what to do with them.

what I'm doing -
for old FF block the update plus auto-update of add-ons, continue with that, and, also install the new FF separately under different path, copying the older profile so that you can experiment and get it working.
Need to update launch shortcut's so that you can specify the matching profile when you launch eg x86)\Mozilla Firefox_49\firefox.exe" -P -no-remote

Soldato
Have not used Firefox for years (coming up to a decade I guess since Chrome launched in 2008), but quite like what I've seen so far with this release. One issue I've noticed though is there's no spell check working for the OcUK forum input box - at least not for me? Spell check is enabled in the settings though.

Soldato
Have not used Firefox for years (coming up to a decade I guess since Chrome launched in 2008), but quite like what I've seen so far with this release. One issue I've noticed though is there's no spell check working for the OcUK forum input box - at least not for me? Spell check is enabled in the settings though.

Spell check working here.

I'm test driving the new Firefox now.

I like what I see too. One annoyance is on my work PC Firefox tears where as Chrome doesn't.

Soldato
Just updated and it does seem faster, though proof will be after being open a few days with lots of tabs.

Can you hide the top tab bar? I've used vertical tabs for a long time and having them top + side is just silly.

Soldato
I quite like it. It doesnt scroll as fast as chrome but it looks better.

The design reminds me a lot like vivaldi.

Questin regarding flash. Is this now bundled in to the browser or do I need to install it as a plugin?

---

On my home PC spell check doesnt seem to be working tho. :confused:

Do I have to add a dictionary?

Last edited:
Soldato
I always check addon reviews yes ? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/reviews/
I guess OC filters automatically block obscenities

• [*]ABP 3.0.1 and Firefox 57.0 breaks all web pages, I cannot view web contents. Mozilla starting to become ******** the Adblock Plus will be considered a "legacy" add-on and won't work starting with Firefox 57.0. BUT of course there are solutions:

Re-Install Ad Block Plus from browser, and manually update the filter page in ABP advance settings.

Filter lists here https://adblockplus.org/subscriptions and subscribe to EasyList filter. There are other filters I picked
    Anti ad blocking (removes that annoying "Please allow this domain" on certain websites)
    Fanboy's Annoyances (removes ads in social media like youtube and facebook)
    You can test other filters as well, up to you. That's all we can do as end users.
    I'm waiting for ABP to release compatible version for Firefox.

Rated 2 out of 5
    by Anonymous user f94f0e, 6 hours ago
    [*]The version for Firefox 57 is a total piece of ****. Seriously guys, what happened to the people that design the plugin interface? What happened to the VERY usefull "view blockable itens" where I could block a bunch of unnecessary javascript requests for advertisement sites?

Rated 1 out of 5
    by TioDrakul, 7 hours ago
    [*]The best plugin to block ads.

Rated 5 out of 5
    by xXxEMOxXx, 11 hours ago
    [*]Used to be great, but since the latest update it`s a total disaster. Loads of websites are now not loading at all because of js errors caused by Adblock. Needs to be fixed as soon as possible because at the moment the extension is unusable. :(

Rated 1 out of 5
    by hamasaki, 13 hours ago

Back
Top Bottom