Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Cheers for the feedback guys about the new Firefox. I realise that developers behind unMHT (for MHT files) isn't going to support the new Firefox, so that is a deal-breaker for me at the moment. I liked the MHT format because they are single files rather than multiple files + folder per web page and I have a huge archive of MHTs going back to the late 90s so I want to keep them. Obviously I don't want to switch to IE because it's pants :p

Soldato
Is Adblock+ working on this version yet? Just want to check before I install

Highly recommend uBlock Origin for both Firefox and Chrome, it's a lot lighter and a lot more powerful as well.

Have they got read of the download manager?

I used to like that feature over Chromes download tab. Seems Mozilla have ditched it?

Still there but for some reason the download button auto hides itself. A bit of a pain, but I found if you download something to make it appear, then go to "Customise", drag it to the overflow area, then back to the toolbar, a pop up appears over it with the option to untick auto-hide. You can also access the download manager via the new library button.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sad to lose the use of legacy extensions, still no viable replacement for ReHost Image...

Anyway, I like v57, few UI stuff got changed around, and I don't like the all black tab bar when choosing the dark theme, I preferred v56's "dark" shade instead of all black, it's more pleasing.

Firefox57.JPG

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have not had Flash installed for over a year. Only sites that are not worth visiting use Flash still anyway.

For anyone wanting to increase the new tab "Top Sites" grid from the paltry 12 (old Firefox had more), hit up About:Config and adjust the value in

Code:
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesCount

Last edited:
Permabanned
After using CTR to keep tabs on the bottom for so long, it was hard to have them on top, but I'm getting used to it! I know there's still a script or something to get them back on bottom, that I think Orcvader linked me to a while ago (thanks), but meh :p

As for the new Firefox, it's clearly snappier, really liking it.

Soldato
Might need to check here, should be able to hide/move them with CSS: https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/

Thanks - that pointed me in the right direction and I found this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/736cji/how_to_hide_native_tabs_in_firefox_57_tree_style/

Hides the top tabs and the caption of the side bar. Get a blank bar at the top of the screen which is a waste of a bit of space but removes the scrolling of the tabs which got annoying as it caught your eye.

2c28ff985c4c1d3c393fb5b2df94f48e.png

Soldato
I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of the dark area to the right of the tabs. Other than a mix up of icons, I can't really see any difference in speed.

Soldato
Having used Firefox a little longer this morning, it does all seem a little faster. I am finding it uses the same amount of RAM as the last version, if not a little more - currently about 415MB of RAM with just this one tab open to post this.

What is really niggling me is the font on my online banking seems to have increased beyond comfortable. I don't know if this is an issue with Firefox or my bank.

Soldato
Having used Firefox a little longer this morning, it does all seem a little faster. I am finding it uses the same amount of RAM as the last version, if not a little more - currently about 415MB of RAM with just this one tab open to post this.

What is really niggling me is the font on my online banking seems to have increased beyond comfortable. I don't know if this is an issue with Firefox or my bank.

Maybe I need to close some tabs before I jump across. Is that really 10Gb ram...lol

Chrome tabs

Soldato
Stuck it on this morning at work, going to see how it performs with my usual day to day usage and might make the switch back to FF after many years if it performs well.

I seem to have made the switch back after many years.

My one conundrum is whether to install flash or leave it installed. A minority if the web does still use flash.

BT Sport web for example only have a beta version of their non flash based player available. If available!

Back
Top Bottom