updating bios on skylake MSI board

Associate
OP
TBH i just copied the settings i had taken pics of from the OCuK profile that they had set up remember you are talking to a noob so when you say things like "when you set the multiplier to 45x" i go looking in the bios and i don't see what you are saying...i think it did show something along those lines in regards to 'apply to all cores' when i set it to 45 but in all honesty i cannot remember...i will leave some screen shots of the bios as it is ATM...i attempted to save something but as you can see from the screen shots it doesn't seem to be as simple as that from my profile settings as although i set all the settings based off of pictures i took navigating even the profile parts of this board are throwing me because i don't remember saving the setup as a profile or even being prompted to do so...yes you will see that there are apparently the old OC profiles listed but the system tells me that they do not exist when i attempt to use them so not sure why they are there

cbYBspG.jpg

lVWk7gZ.jpg

CPU features below which i also copied over from pictures below

wvBE59d.jpg

and here is what happens when i attempt to save the current settings...not sure if it is saving the current settings or not as it creates a file (MsOcFile) a file which i also have from attempting to save the profile last time before the updated bios was installed on my usb stick

BnUxXwr.jpg

wNk5ftO.jpg

CoFKEjn.jpg

RjVrlDd.jpg

and below if i type 'NO' it will start the save process all over again i have yet to type yes as if my memory serves me correctly this file also refuses to load into the bios as well

yrTPll0.jpg

Man of Honour
From that it does appear that your Vcore is fixed but there is nothing obvious standing out to change it to a offset. You really need someone to help you that knows their way around a MSI bios. Can you load the OCUK Profile? At least that should get you back to where you were before the bios flash.

Associate
OP
unfortunately the OC bios seems to be missing even though it's showing up in the profiles section when i try to load it it throws some dodgy message at me that it's not actually in the profiles...odd i know...anyways i will attempt to follow a couple of OC guides for this chipset and board,(sort of),maybe they will work ok i regards to keeping it stable with decent temps at 4.5ghz

this was the best one so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjrKFiIWlU

Associate
OP
so i followed this guys guide in the video in my last post and decided to experiment and leave the voltages at stock and clock in 4.6 suprisingly,(havn't stressed tested yet),am hitting 800mhz on idle with around 26'/27' degrees...looking ok am off to work in an hour,(school bus driver),so will attempt a test for a little while when i get home...i guess this guy was using an older bios seeing as the video was uploaded a little while back..also i think a different board slightly...but the principle are the same no...?

Ovg4dJZ.png

Associate
OP
what do you recommend i set it too or do you think i should drop down to 4.5 again

crap...LOL so much for noobish experimentation...LOL after clearing cmos here are the stock info settings with no overclock i also cleared all of the profiles as they seem to be doing nothing...i thought i had named some profiles like stock and the 4.6 OC but the names and profiles didn't seem to stick for some strange reason...i purposfully saved a stock profile to load if needed yet once again the save feature on this board is terrible...bloody odd as OcUK seemed to be able to do it no problem...LOL

below are the stock 4.0 voltages what i did notice was that this stock voltage of 1.304 changed after updating the bios,(can't remember what the original one was before i updated i just remember noticing that this was different)...is that normal as i did clear cmos before updating

SQXj0yc.jpg

IhY57gs.png

Associate
OP
With regards to the stock voltage changing after the bios update, did it increase or decrease? A lot of the time early bios version can overvolt the cpu and they fix this by adjusting it when they launch a new bios.

if i remember i think it decreased which is why i remember noticing it

Associate
OP
That's more like it. Downclocking and dropping voltage at idle too.

yes seems much better now and all i did was just adjust those two aformentioned parameters no offsets or anything else...also hopefully the profile also saved although saving said profiles to usb or in general still seems an issue...LOL...but am happy until i manage to get my first build up and running...just funds holding me back for that one

and once again thank you for all your support and help...very much appreciated mate

Associate
OP
crappy dappy do dah....i think my kraken X62 might be up the blink...fell asleep watching netflix and woke up in the morning and the PC had put itself to sleep,which is unusual as it should still be on i set it to sleep after an ammount of hours,didn't think nothing of it...then in the afternoon went to turn it on and all the fans kicked in full blast sounded loud as hell....once the screen had kicked up i noticed that my CPU temp was puching 80c plus and at that point i started sweating,rebooted and the same thing happened again only this time it was pushing close to 100c,so did the usual popped off the AIO...cleaned and replaced the thermal paste and same thing again...so i thought maybe it's the crappy thermal paste i got from PC World...went up to my local PC shop and he gave me a dolop of his thermal grizzly...same thing again only this time it looked like it had cooked the thermal paste off of the CPU and AIO altogether the temps were so hot again pushing 100c so not sure how to test an AIO to see if it's working or not i put back my original CPU alpenfon broken II cooler and temps seem to be back to normal...anyone know how i can go about testing my AIO to see if it's broken...unfortunately i do not have another PC here to test it on and when i attach it to this PC it overheats so much it actually crashed the PC and shuts down just after boot up...is it a dead AIO or fixable...the lights on it still work,the fans still rotate so i guess it must be the pump which is faulty

Man of Honour
You should just be able to connect the pump power lead to test it. If it's working you should feel some vibration or hear the pump spinning. if it has a tcho lead connect it to a motherboard fan header and read what rpm the pump is spinning at. All this should be achieveable with the Kraken out of the system.

Associate
OP
You should just be able to connect the pump power lead to test it. If it's working you should feel some vibration or hear the pump spinning. if it has a tcho lead connect it to a motherboard fan header and read what rpm the pump is spinning at. All this should be achieveable with the Kraken out of the system.

sounds like a plan...just one question where do i see these pump RPM readings will CPUID or the cam softwear show this just by pluging in the pumps power lead...???

Man of Honour
The motherboards bios will show you in the "monitoring" section or something like HW monitor or motherboard monitoring software if you have it installed. Take note of which header you connect it to so that you know which one to look for.

Associate
OP
thanks i will check that out...i did contact NZXT and they have also given me a number or things to try before i consider RMA below is what they said to try

Please listen to the tubes to see if the liquid is flowing.

Also, give the radiator a shake to get the liquid flowing if you are having trouble hearing it.

If you are hearing pump noise, Follow this tutorial to quiet the Asetek cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_u_eLVoIc

Please check and see if the pump cable is connected to the CPU_Fan header on your motherboard. Then check CAM and look inside the Kraken section and see what the pump RPM is reporting

Be sure that all of the cables are connected correctly

Be sure the Kraken is completely secured to the motherboard with no slack.

Back
Top Bottom