Updating Bios through Windows.

Associate
Hi all. Been lurking for ages but this is my first post.

I'm about to upgrade my system from my old Epox 8HKA+ rev 2.0 MB but I thought I'd update the BIOS so that I can put the maximum speed CPU in it and give it to my son. I can apparently go to an XP2600 266MHZ FSB or an MP2800 (if I can find one of them) Snag is my floppy is knackered.

What is the score on updating the BIOS through Windows XP using a program like Winflash? Looks easy but it makes me wonder why anyone would use the floppy method if there were no drawbacks (call me paranoid ;) ).

Man of Honour
The winflash method is fine, but it has a higher chance of going wrong, which is why they suggest using a floppy, or at least making a floppy backup boot disc to correct it if it nadgers itself. I bit the bullet and just did it without a floppy at all and it was fine... make of this what you will.

P.S Claimed!

Associate
OP
Zefan said:
The winflash method is fine, but it has a higher chance of going wrong, which is why they suggest using a floppy, or at least making a floppy backup boot disc to correct it if it nadgers itself. I bit the bullet and just did it without a floppy at all and it was fine... make of this what you will.

P.S Claimed!

Thanks... think I'll just give it a go and hope for the best.

Man of Honour
Make sure you do it exactly as it tells you, like ACTUALLY close other programs etc. I've heard that can make quite a difference to the success rate.

Back
Top Bottom