Upgradable or new PC?

Associate
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on whether my old PC rig is upgradable or if I should bite the bullet and get a whole new rig.

I originally put the rig together in 2015 and haven't upgraded anything since. Over the past few years I haven't had the time or need to upgrade as its happily ran the games I wanted to play. Now inevitably its started to slow down and show signs of wear and tear, and there's some games coming out I'd like to play during my free time.

Please note I am not looking to upgrade to a super computer by any means, I am a casual gamer who plays a few hours a week. I would just like to be able to run some of the newer games without dropping frames, I am not expecting to run any games on Ultra settings either.

My current and out dated specs are as follows...

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Video Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960
Motherboard
ASUS® H81-Gamer: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
1st Storage Drive
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If, like I suspect I am advised to buy a new rig. If you could point me in the direction of one to suit my needs I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Soldato
What sort of budget do you have in mind? that PC is quite a few generations out of date and I would be hesitant to spend much more money on upgrades on a dead platform.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply.

I am hesitant to spend too much money on something I don't use as much as I used to. However I'd say anywhere from £750 to £1100. Would this be enough to suit my needs?

Man of Honour
Thanks for your reply.

I am hesitant to spend too much money on something I don't use as much as I used to. However I'd say anywhere from £750 to £1100. Would this be enough to suit my needs?

You have a couple of choices with you budget , adding a stronger gpu like an rtx 2060 , another 8gb ram and a larger ssd would be a massive boost.

Do you have your games on a ssd that's a must

I have just specced a pc for another thread and see what you could get for a £1000 but with black Friday and shopping wisely could get the price down further

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,024.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
OP
You have a couple of choices with you budget , adding a stronger gpu like an rtx 2060 , another 8gb ram and a larger ssd would be a massive boost.

Do you have your games on a ssd that's a must

I have just specced a pc for another thread and see what you could get for a £1000 but with black Friday and shopping wisely could get the price down further

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,024.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)
Thank you very much for the advice!

I'll definitely shop around and hunt for some deals. Is there any difference between AMD and Intel nowadays? Back when I put my PC together I was strongly advised to go with Intel, maybe wrongly advised I might add.

Caporegime

I'll definitely shop around and hunt for some deals. Is there any difference between AMD and Intel nowadays? Back when I put my PC together I was strongly advised to go with Intel, maybe wrongly advised I might add.
Then Intel was king and AMD were in the doldrums. Now AMD have taken over from Intel as the best choice, especially for value.

Man of Honour

@MissChief mostly got it right but there are exceptions to this like the 10400f a 6 core cpu for £140, at that price point nothing can beat it.

AMD OFFER better upgrade options.

Back
Top Bottom