Associate
Hi,

I ran some compatibility checks and figured it's definitely time for an upgrade. I was recommended to upgrade my processor and RAM, however I'm aware that if I upgrade my processor, my motherboard may have to be upgraded too (although I'm trying to avoid it, because money).

Current Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4570
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB

Drives:
HyperX Savage 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB

RAM: HyperX Savage DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB

Motherboard: Asus H87I-PLUS (Mini-ITX)

Questions:
What's the max processor generation I can upgrade my processor to without upgrading my motherboard?
If I upgraded to an i5 9600K - would this motherboard be compatible? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018SMJJH6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
If not, what cheap (<£100) Mini-ITX motherboard would work with the latest gen of processors?
Do I really need to upgrade my RAM - ie isn't 8gb enough? How much difference to framerate/playability etc will going to 16gb make?

Apologies for the inexperienced questions, I started looking at different motherboards etc and it started getting very confusing. I was of the impression that LGA1151 meant it would be compatible with new generations of processors, but apparently not?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Associate
No, you would need a h310 chipset board for the 9600k, but that would be largely a waste of time, as you would need a z series board to overclock the chip. You would ideally be looking at a z390 board, you would also need ddr4 ram not ddr3.

Much better value if you are replacing all that to go ryzen 3600

Back
Top Bottom