Upgrade Advice - last update 2017ish

Associate
My last PC upgrade was partly tied to making the Witcher 3 pretty, and although I am now yet struggling with newer titles it may just be because I haven't played anything new of late...

My current spec is:
  • Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
  • Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
  • Corsair Builder Series CX 600W V2 '80 Plus' Certified Power Supply (CMPSU-600CXV2)
  • BitFenix Shinobi Gaming Case - Black
  • Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX)
  • Corsair A50 High-Performance CPU Cooler (Socket AM2/AM3/LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366)
  • MSI GTX 980 Ti Twin Frozr 6G 6 GB Gaming Graphics Card
  • HDD is a combination of HDD/SSD, system was originally built when SSDs were expensive so I used to run a smaller SSD with OS and all games on a 1TB HDD; but now have a 500GB SSD and the 1TB HDD... I don't think this is much on an issue though.
So, what needs to be replaced most urgently - no real budget in mind, but think that the latest cutting edge cards would be wasted on me. If it's a case of best waiting for a while before upgrading again then I'm certainly in no rush...

Associate
OP
A more specific query...

My PSU has started 'clicking', I've cleaned the fans but no joy in a long-term fix, therefore it's likely that it's going to need replacing before anything else.

Do I need something bigger (especially if I am upgrading), or could I go for the same again?

Man of Honour
A more specific query...

My PSU has started 'clicking', I've cleaned the fans but no joy in a long-term fix, therefore it's likely that it's going to need replacing before anything else.

Do I need something bigger (especially if I am upgrading), or could I go for the same again?

Depends what you upgrade to, a 750w will cover you for most eventualities.

What's your budget ?

Soldato
Definitely change PSU before anything else.
Corsair's brand sticker doesn't stop that CX from being outdated already decade ago low end PSU not intended to last long in enthusiast use.

Phanteks AMP is good 10 year warranty PSU.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-amp-650w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-09q-pt.html
Also 750W model is now in stock.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=phanteks+amp
Though if not going for Intel and not getting the most power hungry GPU, good 650W PSU is plenty.

Associate
OP
Thanks both - budget-wise I could probably stretch to around £800 for the lot, so probably looking at £100 for the PSU - but I need to balance out all the parts and see if it'd make more sense to hold fire until I've saved more. Will take a look at the suggestions, but would think that I'm looking at more than a 650w if I am planning to upgrade other parts too.

Associate
OP
So, my new PSU is fine, but what are the priorities of upgrade in the below:
  • Corsair Builder Series CX 600W V2 '80 Plus' Certified Power Supply (CMPSU-600CXV2)
  • Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX)
  • Corsair A50 High-Performance CPU Cooler (Socket AM2/AM3/LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366)
  • HDD is a combination of HDD/SSD, system was originally built when SSDs were expensive so I used to run a smaller SSD with OS and all games on a 1TB HDD; but now have a 500GB SSD and the 1TB HDD... I don't think this is much on an issue though.
As I've recently switched to Gamestream I'd like to stick to Nvidia when it comes to graphics cards if at all possible.

I don't need bleeding edge, I just need able to run things from the past year in high-ish quality - it's more of ensuring I don't fall too far behind, rather than keeping up with the cool kids.

Also, would prefer to avoid overclocking things, after stable, not speed, as a preference.

Soldato
As I've recently switched to Gamestream I'd like to stick to Nvidia when it comes to graphics cards if at all possible.
So 980ti = 1660ti by current reckoning. Easy to upgrade 2500k etc. but actually finding a gpu at the moment thats a step up from what you have is v difficult and secondhand 20xx series are going for more than when new.

Associate
I would upgrade your 2500k, motherboard and ram first, as they will bottleneck a high end GPU. An intel 10400f, appropriate MB and Ram will be a good gaming upgrade. I would recommend waiting until end of March as the 11400f should be out then with a bit of extra performance. Then when the GPU supply permits upgrade your GPU

This shows how your gpu performs against a newer gpu https://youtu.be/Owrk_OnaPJo

Associate
Intel's Rocket Lake is coming in March 2021. Lately Intel have been cheaper than AMD, can you wait a month? Z590 motherboards and Rocket Lake CPU's e.g. 11900k.

As stated I would retain that MSI 980 Ti for a while, its a great card, I own one, it is just a tad loud. I now own an RTX 3070, which is better but the 980 Ti still played games perfectly n 2021. Just don't expect Cyberpunk to run at 120 FPS with it.

Associate
OP
Thanks all - really useful feedback to have; I’m in no rush, so happy to monitor any upcoming releases in the coming months that may be better to wait for (and also to stall on GPU update until the current peak has passed...)

Associate
OP
Many months later I am looking at this again...

So, I bought the Phanteks AMP 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular when my PSU was failing, and am aiming to keep my graphics card for a bit longer, but looking at the other options available would things like:
  • Intel 8 Core i9 11900K Rocket Lake CPU/Processor LN113629 - BX8070811900K
  • Gigabyte Intel Z590 Aorus Master ATX Motherboard LN114346
Be good purchases? Along with additional RAM? (and what RAM would that be?)

Soldato
That CPU is waste of sand.
"High end" Intels are landfill fires and sucking insane amount of power and turning it to heat is only thing in which they lead anything.

Ryzen 5900X beats any Intel desktop CPU... besides some of Intels HEDT/workstation models.
And there would be later upgrade option with 3D stacked L3 cache refreshes.

DDR3 1600MHz was slow and old already five years ago and is now more than outdated retro with also DDR4 starting to head towards end of its time in limelight.
(though DDR5 has craptacular latencies and might not be good for gaming for some time)

Soldato
For motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite and MSI X570 Tomahawk are good for the money if you want also PCIe v4 chipset lanes.
If PCIe v4 for graphics card is enough then good B550 boards would be about £50 cheaper.

For memory 3600MHz is the sweet spot for Ryzen and future proof amount 2x16GB kit costs £150.
Though for the absolutely best performance two ranks per channel is needed to get command interleaving.
But that would be quaranteed only either by having two DIMMs per channel. (4x8GB kit)
Or with guaranteedly Samsung B-die using DIMMs, which are very expensive.

Associate
OP
Brilliant - thank you so much for this feedback! I'll search around and try to find some suitable options.

Obviously my cooling is the same as it was all those years ago, will this be sufficient or do I need to look at something newer to assist?

Soldato
Thanks - exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. Will look at Ryzen 5900X.

Will also look at DDR4 RAM (as surely it'll be an improvement on what I have).
If your just planning on gaming with a midrange GPU then 11400F + B560 Would offer the same performance as a 5900X while coming in considerably cheaper then put what you saved towards a new GPU in a few months when prices are closer to normal.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If your just planning on gaming with a midrange GPU then 11400F + B560 Would offer the same performance as a 5900X while coming in considerably cheaper then put what you saved towards a new GPU in a few months when prices are closer to normal.

I'd like to upgrade the GPU - but I guess it's a case of cost, and also a mid-range GPU is still going to be a step-up on what I have. However, I try to go for a reasonable spec so that I can only upgrade once every five or so years.

But again, it depends on what mid-range is these days, I've seen some of the more top range offerings and think they would be wasted on me.

Corsair A50 really isn't up to job of cooling modern high end CPUs.
If case has room for its height, Alpenfohn Brocken 3 would be very good.
Alpenfohn Brocken 3 CPU Cooler - 140mm= £42.95

Sadly, the case does not have space for that... I wonder if I should get a new case too...

(This is fast becoming 'I should just buy a new computer and transfer my data over).

Soldato
Sadly, the case does not have space for that... I wonder if I should get a new case too...
Scythe Mugen 5 would be actually little heavier cooler despite of moderate size and step behind the best in performance.
Scythe SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Cooler= £43.99

Though it likely still has Intel optimized convex base, which might not make good contact with Ryzen's convex heat spreader.
(no doubt some individual variation in both heatspreader and cooler base)
But straightening/"lapping" cooler base is rather easy, if you can be bothered to do few hours of work.
You need:
  • Some guaranteedly as flat as possible surface, like piece of glass.
  • Preferably some straight edge for checking shape of base/monitor progress.
  • Sand papers roughly between like 100 and 800 rougness with next smoother one being about double of previous.
    (mirror polish isn't needed, anything above ~600 has very marginal effect)
If base has notable mountain on it for example 80 is good value for initial grinding of only that spot by hand. (press paper with thumb)
When most of "mountain" is gone (use that straight edge to check) then you can put sand paper on flat surface and start "normal" lapping process.

Associate
OP
So, after much back and forth - I've found that the best way to deal with this is to do a whole scale budget-breaking new purchase of a whole new PC.

However, that leaves me with the old PC with these specs:
  • BitFenix Shinobi Gaming Case - Black
So, I was thinking I could do a moderate upgrade on this and then hand-it-down - as it's what I am currently typing on I know it can handle most modern offerings at various levels, but wondered if there were any simple upgrades that would help it be reasonable for a few more years - RAM and processor?

Also, the case is old, I am not looking for a flashy case and something compact would do the job even better than the current size, but is there a handy guide to cases and what size is needed to fit in what parts, etc?

Back
Top Bottom