Upgrade advice needed please.

Associate
Hi,

So I have a 3080 Ventus card on order and am wondering if this bundle would be a fitting upgrade to my 6700K?
I mainly game (BF5, sim racing etc) but also music production so prefer Intel over AMD. I figure this combo would potentially last me another 4 or 5 years so worth it for me.
I have a buddy who is soon building a first PC for his son and I was going to donate the 6700K bundle. This was the deal from 2016 with Asus Maximus VIII Hero, aio cooler and 32gb or ram.

I’d be keeping my case, (Fractal Design R4) EVGA 750 watt psu, WD M2 drive + Seagate 2TB HD.

My basket at Overclockers UK: [/LIST]
Total: £1,280.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
Hi,

So I have a 3080 Ventus card on order and am wondering if this bundle would be a fitting upgrade to my 6700K?
I mainly game (BF5, sim racing etc) but also music production so prefer Intel over AMD. I figure this combo would potentially last me another 4 or 5 years so worth it for me.
I have a buddy who is soon building a first PC for his son and I was going to donate the 6700K bundle. This was the deal from 2016 with Asus Maximus VIII Hero, aio cooler and 32gb or ram.

I’d be keeping my case, (Fractal Design R4) EVGA 750 watt psu, WD M2 drive + Seagate 2TB HD.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
[/LIST]
Total: £1,280.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

cheaper

Total: £1,081.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)

manually oc to 5ghz. not to hard. still 10 cores/20 threads

more savings

Total: £860.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

£1280 odd vs £850... yeah.. £850 and RTX 3080 payment is mostly covered

althought case doesn't support 360 rads

Total: £128.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Dropping to 10700k again saves more, and 8 cores/ 16 threads which is double what your using and plenty ...​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh, this is great, thank you!
The more I can save the better, especially in these times.

I do think the 10700K would be more than enough power so would definitely include that.
Does the mobo have dual M2 slots as I’d like to add another at a later point?

If that cooler is the one you recommend I could go for a new case now that we’ve saved a considerable amount in the cpu. Something mid size and quiet, I also don’t need it to have a window or leds and lighting as I’ve never been a fan of that.

Soldato
Cool

Zen 3 is due for release In 9ctober see what that brings.

hopefully some price drops.... unless it sells out of stock like Zen1 and 2 and shots up in pricing as before and RTX 3*** .
Have a feeling it will, so many of us on Zen1/+ looking for that jump! guessing those on Zen2 as well . Please dont let stocks down AMD!

Soldato
Oh, this is great, thank you!
The more I can save the better, especially in these times.

I do think the 10700K would be more than enough power so would definitely include that.
Does the mobo have dual M2 slots as I’d like to add another at a later point?

If that cooler is the one you recommend I could go for a new case now that we’ve saved a considerable amount in the cpu. Something mid size and quiet, I also don’t need it to have a window or leds and lighting as I’ve never been a fan of that.

would recommend a new case.. with good cooling!

yes, has 3 m.2's and top ones will be PCIe 4.0 with 11th Gen intel. Zen2 already at pcie 4.0

BF5 does like cores!

short cases, quiet but have to check wiith AIO at the front (360) if GPU length will be okay, or 280 aio at the top with ram

Total: £270.71 (includes shipping: £20.82)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
would recommend a new case.. with good cooling!

yes, has 3 m.2's and top ones will be PCIe 4.0 with 11th Gen intel. Zen2 already at pcie 4.0

BF5 does like cores!

short cases, quiet but have to check wiith AIO at the front (360) if GPU length will be okay, or 280 aio at the top with ram

Total: £270.71 (includes shipping: £20.82)

I like the look of the Fractal case, that will be in the list then.

Is it only 11th gen Intel that supports pcie 4 for the gtx card? I guess if so it would be worth waiting then?

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the help so far.
i didn’t realise the price jump from 10700 to 10850 was so small so I’ve gone for the latter.

Does anyone know if the cooler and 3080 will fit in this case? I’d hate for it not too when it all arrives. I’ve built a few PCs in my time so up for the job, as long as everything is compatible.

Total: £1,204.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks all for the help so far.
i didn’t realise the price jump from 10700 to 10850 was so small so I’ve gone for the latter.

Does anyone know if the cooler and 3080 will fit in this case? I’d hate for it not too when it all arrives. I’ve built a few PCs in my time so up for the job, as long as everything is compatible.

Total: £1,204.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Yes, intel took flak with 10 core pricing with 16 cores not being to much more from Ryzen. Makes it cheaper then Ryzen 12 core sometimes and faster in gaming !

Heads up, that case... 341mm is max GPU length with a front fan installed... Add 25mm for that Eisbaer rad (slimmer then Standard Eisbaer and AIO units) that leaves 316mm for your GPU ! Please keeps that in mind with compact cases and RTX 3*** cards

Associate
OP
Yes, intel took flak with 10 core pricing with 16 cores not being to much more from Ryzen. Makes it cheaper then Ryzen 12 core sometimes and faster in gaming !

Heads up, that case... 341mm is max GPU length with a front fan installed... Add 25mm for that Eisbaer rad (slimmer then Standard Eisbaer and AIO units) that leaves 316mm for your GPU ! Please keeps that in mind with compact cases and RTX 3*** cards

Can the radiator be top mounted or is this not the way?

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom