Upgrade advice needed please.

Associate
OP
Soldato
M2 slots don't disable usb ports as far as aware.

Mite be worth considering the MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI as msi are doing cashback on motherboard and cpu combos.

£58 back.

https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-to-school-2020#Intel-Motherboard

@orbitalwalsh what's your opinion on the msi motherboard, thanks.

MSI is a 6 phase VRM design at 60 amps ( 12 integrated mosfet ISL99360)
AORUS is a 12 phase VRM Design at 50 amps ( 12 integrated mosfet SIC 651A)

Gaming X from Gigabyte is actually the same VRM set up as Gigabytes Aorus Elite...

VRM test wise, Elite edges over the EDGE, aand Tomahawk is more closer to it. Edge is slightly better then the Gaming X though, which would still handle 10 cores just fine, but you'd want good airflow

Gigabytes customer service iis far greater and thats down to their rep to be honest (Zotac US rep is now crushing their reputation with a poor thread reply)

Aorus has 3x m.2 slots vs MSI 2. Gigabyte/Aorus were also the first to confirm PCIe 4.0 wiring

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £581.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Total: £1,192.56 (includes shipping: £14.70)

and hopefully MSII cashback is handed back before 100 days... haha

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/30742650/

2017 so things should have improved .... remember this one well​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you OribitalWalsh, the P600 looks fine as does the saving on the psu.

Even if I added a nvme drive (may pick up a 1TB in Black Friday) and included the cost of my Ventus 3080 the whole package is just inside £2k which I think is a very good PC for the money and will last me another 4 or 5 years. (maybe a gfx card swap half way through if needed)

Nice one!

Soldato
Thank you OribitalWalsh, the P600 looks fine as does the saving on the psu.

Even if I added a nvme drive (may pick up a 1TB in Black Friday) and included the cost of my Ventus 3080 the whole package is just inside £2k which I think is a very good PC for the money and will last me another 4 or 5 years. (maybe a gfx card swap half way through if needed)

Nice one!

shame you didnt pick up the Gaming OC. had 4 years warranty foor just a little more . Did you actually manage to land an RTX 3080 ?????

I'll just google the Elite quickly to see about PCIe 4.0 , know the rest of the aorus brand dooes

Seems Gigabyte has edited Marketing stuff. just mentiioned PCIe 4.0 ready on VRM section...

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-ELITE-AC-rev-10#kf

haha, below the top m.2 slot... theres text saaying reserved for future. so PCIe 4.0 M.2

damn, aorus 4400hz kit only comes in 16gb max with £140 price tag

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’ve previously had a Gaming OC 1080 then a Gaming OC 1080 ti so I think I will give OC a call to switch to the Gaming OC 3080. No idea when I’d receive either so may as well!

Re - the PSU, 750 or 850?

Soldato
I’ve previously had a Gaming OC 1080 then a Gaming OC 1080 ti so I think I will give OC a call to switch to the Gaming OC 3080. No idea when I’d receive either so may as well!

Re - the PSU, 750 or 850?

why not!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020180-uk-ca-23v-cs.html

Aorus 850w goes for £109 but then its differing resellers etc . 10 yr warranty

also, 3 of these to replace rad fans... silence and performance !!!!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-silent-black-fan-120mm-fg-04l-ar.html

Soldato
The cooler comes with paste image 10 on overclockers.

Not sure you need to change the fans they can be controlled threw his motherboard

I know alphacool well, but their fans . Just basic . If after silence and very cheaply then the P12 are a lovely addition . I spent £20per silent wing fan, these are close at £5 per fan

Just about ready with this list.

One more question though, do I need some CPU paste or does the cooler already have suitable stuff on?

Yep, in a small tube

Associate
OP
Alright,

So the plan is to wait for my 3080 to arrive and put it in my current system. (I’m not going to switch the MSI for the Gigabyte as this will probably only cause further delays)

If there is any need to I can then push the button on the list below.

Thank you guys for your help. It’s virtually the same price as the 8Pack bundle in first post but includes everything to give me a fresh new PC.

Total: £1,237.53 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
Thinking of adding a 1TB nvme drive to this. Was looking at the WD SN550 as it seems to be affordable for a drive of it’s size.

I currently have the 512GB WD SN750 Black which is my main OS drive so wondering if I should use this as the new OS drive or the other one? I’d put my Steam and Origin games on the 1TB probably with a Seagate 2TB spinner as a ‘everything else’ storage drive.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? I assume it’s best to do a fresh Windows install and not just boot off the current SN750?

On a slight side note, I had a backup of my OS drive on a 512GB SSD and put it in my Mac Mini with the intention of formatting and installing a fresh OSX. When it booted up I missed the options to wipe it and it booted straight into my Windows drive! All working! Was quite surprised.

Man of Honour
Take a look at the adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb one of the fastest m2 pcie3 drives for the money. Unfortunatlley not available at overclockers but the sn 550 is a good drive.

Win 10 is good when putting in new hardware, years ago a fresh install would be a must. Make a note of you win 10 key as you may have yo reactivate when changing motherboard.

Is you key linked to your microsoft account ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Take a look at the adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb one of the fastest m2 pcie3 drives for the money. Unfortunatlley not available at overclockers but the sn 550 is a good drive.

Win 10 is good when putting in new hardware, years ago a fresh install would be a must. Make a note of you win 10 key as you may have yo reactivate when changing motherboard.

Is you key linked to your microsoft account ?

I’m not sure the key is linked, will need to check.
Good news if I can put the SN750 straight in the new build! Saves a whole day of reinstalling everything.

Back
Top Bottom