Upgrade advice (Video Editing PC)

Associate
Hi guys,

So I spec'ed a monster PC on OCUK for about 2.5k but a friend was selling this PC for a good price so decided to wait on the big spend for now and use this as a stop gap.

I am looking for a few upgrades and advice

Currently planning to max the ram at 32gb and look at a 250gb m2 for main storage and keep the SSD as an edit drive. But very much open to ideas.

I was also thinking about a second graphics card but not sure which one. I have been out of the PC world for a while.

Current spec:
RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 Ram
HD: Crucial CT250 250GB SSD
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
Case: Corsair
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Heat Sink: Corsair Hydro Series H75
GFX: GeForce GTX 970 Windforce
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5

Thank you for any help.

Alex :D

Soldato
Maxing out the RAM and adding an NVME drive (Samsung 960s are awesome) would be reasonable moves as you suggest - second graphics card, not so much...

970 should still be ok for 1080p 60hz gaming,

What do you do with the PC? And what res screen do you have?

Soldato
32GB RAM would be a good idea. Don't bother with another GPU for video editing, SLI performance isn't worth it.

You should look at small SSD for OS, small/mid size SSD for media cache and a 7200rpm drive for your footage (or another larger SSD if you have the wonga).

Associate
OP
32GB RAM would be a good idea. Don't bother with another GPU for video editing, SLI performance isn't worth it.

You should look at small SSD for OS, small/mid size SSD for media cache and a 7200rpm drive for your footage (or another larger SSD if you have the wonga).

Thanks is there a big difference splitting the 3 parts like that? Right now I have everything on the ssd fine for small projects OS, video files and cache.

Associate
Single point of failure aside, it helps spread out writes to the SSD and you can get a faster one for the OS, and a slower one for cache.

Soldato
Depends on what you're editing really. I've given you an example of what I (as a video professional) do for video projects. At work we actually have the OS and Cache on the same drive but footage and project files centralised on a server and that works fine. For larger projects we're currently working off USB SSDs drives, they're excellent (Samsung T5 etc).

Back
Top Bottom