Associate
When i first built my gaming PC back in 2015 i used all budget parts, the entire PC costing me around £500 and being able to run all games on max with no problem at the time. Since then i have replaced the standard CPU Fan with a closed loop water cooler and upgraded to a bigger case to fit the cooler in.
Thinking its about time to upgrade the other parts, load times for games are massive, i'm getting constant crashes and i cant really run any game on max graphics anymore...

Having trouble choosing parts as my motherboard is an old AM3+ socket board and my CPU only supports DDR3 RAM which seems abit out dated. Worth upgrading motherboard to an AM4 socket and then changing CPU and memory or just upgrading AM3+ parts with what i can find?

Current PC parts:

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T V2 - Arctic White
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3+
CPU: AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX 240mm
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 D
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" SATA III H
PSU: 500W - EVGA 80+ White Rated Power Supply

thanks in advance.

Soldato
When i first built my gaming PC back in 2015 i used all budget parts, the entire PC costing me around £500 and being able to run all games on max with no problem at the time. Since then i have replaced the standard CPU Fan with a closed loop water cooler and upgraded to a bigger case to fit the cooler in.
Thinking its about time to upgrade the other parts, load times for games are massive, i'm getting constant crashes and i cant really run any game on max graphics anymore...

Having trouble choosing parts as my motherboard is an old AM3+ socket board and my CPU only supports DDR3 RAM which seems abit out dated. Worth upgrading motherboard to an AM4 socket and then changing CPU and memory or just upgrading AM3+ parts with what i can find?

Current PC parts:

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T V2 - Arctic White
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3+
CPU: AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX 240mm
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 D
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" SATA III H
PSU: 500W - EVGA 80+ White Rated Power Supply

thanks in advance.

better PSU , ryzen destroys FX chips, even if you kept older GPU. RX 580 with 2 free games. Believe Ryzen 2600 also comes with a free game too!!

BB CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £511.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)

able to stretch for 500gb ssd and down grade from rx 580 to 570

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £544.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

nice to see OCUK bring this bundle in, other vendors sold out pretty quickly in their turn!​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks :D That bundle is awesome! so could i get away with the Motherboard, cpu and psu bundle, the new RAM sticks but stick with my old graphics card? Or would you recommend upgrading the GPU as well, i don't really have a budget limit so if the new GPU would be a big improvement i don't have a problem investing in it..

Soldato
Thanks :D That bundle is awesome! so could i get away with the Motherboard, cpu and psu bundle, the new RAM sticks but stick with my old graphics card? Or would you recommend upgrading the GPU as well, i don't really have a budget limit so if the new GPU would be a big improvement i don't have a problem investing in it..

yeah oing RX 580 or gtx 1060 is worth it - rx 580 makes more sense with 2 free games but then have to add cost of 500gb ssd ontop

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18f-gi.html

could always get the core bundle with SSD and then see how your current rig performs against new install with Current GPU.
should notice an increase, specially with recent AAA titles like BFV.

then can mark the gain if its worth 10 fps+ increase

Soldato
Great thanks. Sorry for noob question but why would i need the SSD ontop if i went with RX 570/580 or GTX 1060? Would my current HDD not do?

An SSD will feel great if you haven't used one. It is the one thing that has more impact on overall snappiness of your system. It will also decrease game loading/level changing times if you stick your fave games on it along with the OS.

As for GPU and not really having a budget limit, depends on the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor. Even if just 1080p 60Hz you'll see a lot of benefit with RX 580 v 270X.

Which version of Windows are you on?

Man of Honour
Get an SSD. You'll wonder why you never got one sooner.
Also recommend one that's at least 480gb.
Pointless getting anything smaller than that

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. So to sum it up. Get an SSD at the very least. If i want to upgrade the lot then get the motherboard, cpu, psu and ram and then the most powerful GPU i can afford. In an ideal world get a monitor which has adaptive sync and then get all of the above with an RX580 or a Vega 56?

cheers

Soldato
Thanks guys. So to sum it up. Get an SSD at the very least. If i want to upgrade the lot then get the motherboard, cpu, psu and ram and then the most powerful GPU i can afford. In an ideal world get a monitor which has adaptive sync and then get all of the above with an RX580 or a Vega 56?

cheers

Yes, core and SSD.. GPU afterwards . Vega 56 will power that monitor well :)
If cAnt afford, Rx 580/ gtx 1660 will do a good job

Back
Top Bottom