Upgrade check - £350 bundle

Associate
Afternoon all

Could I please check the following upgrade build prior to ordering please?

I already have an SSD + HDD and an old HD 6850 GPU, case etc should be no issue to reuse. No real gaming I am mainly browsing and occasional music production. Not planning to OC.

Currently using a Q6600 which is showing its age so hopefully this is a reasonable upgrade?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £324.88
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Thank you in advance everyone!

Soldato
I already have an SSD + HDD and an old HD 6850 GPU, case etc should be no issue to reuse. No real gaming I am mainly browsing and occasional music production. Not planning to OC.

Currently using a Q6600 which is showing its age so hopefully this is a reasonable upgrade?

As your upgrading from the legendary Q6600 - if you could afford the extra £20 the 1500X may be worth the extra considering the length of time you keep your systems and perhaps future music production software updates...

I would also add 3000MHZ memory minimum - as Ryzen performs better with faster memory.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Good point thanks, yes I try to get the most out of hardware nowadays! :)

Out of interest are the clock speeds on RAM really that different? I didn't want to go slowest to save a few quid but also don't think I will see the benefit of top shelf RAM especially if I am not OC'ing.

Soldato
No problem:

See my edit re memory. Single stick is fine if planning on upgrading to 16GB in the future - if not stick in 2 x 4 Gb.

Associate
OP
Ahh ok thank you I will amend. How about this, I think it looks about as good as it can for £350.

Total: £351.92

Soldato
Ahh ok thank you I will amend. How about this, I think it looks about as good as it can for £350.

Total: £351.92

Looks a very solid upgrade - and the stock Wraith cooler will still allow a moderate clock if you want to play...

As mentioned - if you plan on upgrading to 16GB soon then the 1 stick of 3000MHz of 8Gb isn't a problem - marginal gains. But if you were sticking with 8Gb for a considerable time then you may as well make use of the dual channel kit.

Associate
OP
I think so, next upgrade will only be when the alternative is throwing the thing out of the window through frustration! :)

Thank you for the swift responses and help. Order being placed now.

Also editing thread title for benefit of others searching for a £350 upgrade.

Soldato
I think so, next upgrade will only be when the alternative is throwing the thing out of the window through frustration! :)

Thank you for the swift responses and help. Order being placed now.

Also editing thread title for benefit of others searching for a £350 upgrade.
No problem - best of luck with the build.

Box the q6600 up for prosperity - one of my all time favourite CPUs. I have g0 stepping on my shelf :)

Associate
OP
Just an update for people if they are looking to don't be same bundle. This mini needs a bios update to work with this chip. It is not shipped with the updated bios. Unfortunately unless you have a ryzen 7 or a friendly local computer shop to help then you have to return to ocuk for the flash. Bit of a shame really.

Soldato
Just an update for people if they are looking to don't be same bundle. This mini needs a bios update to work with this chip. It is not shipped with the updated bios. Unfortunately unless you have a ryzen 7 or a friendly local computer shop to help then you have to return to ocuk for the flash. Bit of a shame really.
That's a PITA.

It's becoming a common theme on the forums - i would have hoped the earlier boards would have all been shipped or stopped being supplied. Retailers are at the mercy of their suppliers with regard to stock (I suspect).

Unfortunately it's not just these boards - it's pot luck if you're shipped an early produced board. It would seem OcUK have a batch of boards with pre-F4 BIOS at the moment.

They should run dry soon - but it does seem nonsensical for motherboard manufacturers not to stick a label (or coloured sticker) on the box identifying/stipulating that the present installed BIOS can't support a CPU they've been built to run (i.e. identifying the BIOS installed at source). It would certainly help the retailer and customer and save a lot of money/hassle all round...

If that's not possible then at least notify retailers - or a general notification on their website - of batch numbers of the motherboards with older BIOS installed so they could update boards before they're shipping to customers.

How did you get yours flashed?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Rather unfortunately I have to send it back next week. DPD shipping is all well and good but I need a computer to print the label! :)

Hoping the guys will throw in some more paste if I ask nicely as well.

Soldato
Rather unfortunately I have to send it back next week. DPD shipping is all well and good but I need a computer to print the label! :)
That really is a PITA.

Sorry to read that - takes the majority of the excitement out of a new build. :/

Hoping the guys will throw in some more paste if I ask nicely as well.
I would have thought so - they're usually pretty accomodating with issues like this and will realise it's cost you time and ultimately money if extra paste is required.

They're great in the CS Forums...

Associate
OP
Just to update the guys at OCuK flashed and returned with no fuss and some more sweeties....winner winner. But I need more help I am afraid...

I put it all together and still it will not boot. I hear a minor electrical whine when it has power (it did this before the bios flash) but nothing.

It could be a power supply issue? The supply works fine with my old q6600 but possibly it just isn't suitable for this new setup?

It is an Antec true power trio 650watt so I was of the assumption that it would have enough juice. All the connectors are suitable. Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Soldato
It could be the PSU, how old is it (8 years+?)? If it is it would definitely be a strong contender - even if it wasn't you would need to start thinking of getting a new one.

Double/triple check all connections - even kettle lead. Also, connect directly into the wall socket.

Try clearing the CMOS if not done so already...

Have you tried a skeleton setup:
  • 1 stick (alternate slots and different stick)
  • CPU
  • GFX
To see if it will let you into the BIOS?

Associate
OP
I have tried most combinations it literally doesn't kick in at all. No fans spin and no beeps. Including the PSU fans.

But if I put the q6600 bundle back in it starts up.

Could it be that the PSU can't power this tiny matx board?!

Soldato
I have tried most combinations it literally doesn't kick in at all. No fans spin and no beeps. Including the PSU fans.

But if I put the q6600 bundle back in it starts up.

Could it be that the PSU can't power this tiny matx board?!

The TDP of the 1500x is nearly half that of the q6600 (65W compared to 105W) - so with a skeleton setup it should have enough oomph to show a glimmer of life.

Have you tried setting up outside of the case and shorting the pins for signs of life?

Associate
OP
I haven't yet as I was trying to avoid a full strip down of the rest of the case but this might be the only option. I have plugged in the whole old setup and it turns on straight away.

I can hear the new mobo making a slight squeal like it is getting power, this one has no lights on it to confirm it is on.

I must be missing something really simple here! :)

Back
Top Bottom