1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade check plz....

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by ninjapilot, 1 Jan 2006.

1. ninjapilot

Hitman

Hi All and a happy new year to you all.
    Im thinking of upgrading my system board + cpu but using everthing else:

Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 ULI board
    Opteron UP 144 San Diego 1.8GHz

now i won't be doing big o/clocks but wouldn't mind 2-2.2 on the cpu would it be a worthwhile upgrade? and would the power supply be ok and sound card etc............

Cheers
    Ninja :)

2. ninjapilot

Hitman

Anybody?

3. Topitoff

Wise Guy

Your PSU should be OK; the mobo does not need a 24pin connector; there is talk on some threads that an ATX2.0 complient PSU is required but I've used a 2 year old 465W and a ATX1.3 425W Enermax with it and it's OK.

Don't think an Opteron @1.8GHz will be any quicker than your XP@2.5GHz, but the extra technology, cache and dual channel memory will certainly help in multitasking and games.

Now Overclock it and you will certainly see the benefits; thou' I would suggest the 146 rather than the 144 as the higher multi requires less HTT for the same gig and as these boards require some tinkering to set-up this could be an advantage. Read the Help thread for more details.

NB even a 144 clocked to ~2.4gig (270x9) will give you a nice boost.

Hope This Helps

T

4. ninjapilot

Hitman

Nice one thanks for that not sure what to do now don't want spend the extra £40 for the 146, my xp cpu is clocked @ 2.25 if i can clock the 144 to 2.2 i will be happy and will hopefully see an improvement over the xp

Cheers
    Ninja

5. Topitoff

Wise Guy

"my xp cpu is clocked @ 2.25"

Eyes are going :D miss read your sig. ;) then the 144 is likely to be quicker @1.8.

You should be able to get 2.4GHz+ easily with that mobo and a 144; probabley more.

6. ninjapilot

Hitman

ok i think i'll go for it then :D

Ninja

7. ninjapilot

Hitman

Well thats the Asrock board ordered :) now i'm not sure if to get 144 or 146 :confused:

Ninja

8. GlasgowTitan

Wise Guy

Hey, I am thinking about the exact same upgrade.... see this thread

Im going from a Athlon 3000+ stock to a Opteron 144, so should be a good jump, again I'm same as you and keeping everything else the same. I'm only going for the 144 because its all thats in stock...

9. ninjapilot

Hitman

yes at £100 squids you cannot go wrong :D that was the main reason for me have you ordered yours yet?

Ninja

10. ninjapilot

Hitman

Sorted

UPDATE:
    Well its taken ages but i've finally gone 64bit all installed without a hitch and a fresh install of XP, but got an Opteron 146 instead :D
    very pleased so far, just got to load games and test