Upgrade from Corsair CX750 for a 2070 Super?

Associate
Hi folks,

Been battling for several weeks with a nvwgf2umx.dll error, causing various games to crash.

Tried, when I say everything!, nearly everything I can think of or been suggested by nvidia themselves or google searches.

But wonder if I am getting crashes, with an otherwise seemingly stable GFX card when stress tested with no overclock, due to an aged PSU?

I may be clutching at straws here, but I really am.

Could this be an issue? and if so, with a budget of £150 ish, what would the best future proof PSU be?

I think the present one is at least 8-9 years old in my self built rig.

Thanks in advance...

Associate
OP
What % Are your cpu and gpu at when gaming ?

Have you tested your memmory for errors , try memtest

Have you tested the cpu and gpu individually.

Hi and thanks.

Just run a four hour memtest thing and 100% fine reported.

Cpu and Gpu have been tested several times and thrown no issues under non overclocked conditions.

I have had admittedly the occasional issue when trying to overclock, which I tend to quickly undo and set back to stock, so again this leads me down this path of do I have enough power?

Temps on both never go over 70 degrees, got a lot of fans going on as this can be a hot room!

Soldato
I have had admittedly the occasional issue when trying to overclock, which I tend to quickly undo and set back to stock, so again this leads me down this path of do I have enough power?
While there's so much hype about it, there's never guarantee for being able to overclock over stock settings with things working.
Though good power is certainly evne more critical when overlocking.
Also modern "overlocking" seem to often mean overvolting, which increases power draw very fast stressing power supply more.

Nice one thanks, if 750W is enough for what I have, then I guess 800/850 really covers it going forward.
Good 750W PSU is well enough.
It would easily handle two 2070 Supers.

Permabanned
I have one PC, a 9700K with 32GB of RAM and a 2070S and importantly a digital power supply! In-game with the GPU up in the 90-100% the PSU is outputting 254W. It is consuming ( power from the wall socket ) on average 290W with a peak of 309W. That's not just the 2070S, that's the entire PC. So basically, a good quality 550W PSU is enough. Esat is right that 750W would be good for two 2070S'. The only reason I would get a 750W is if you intend to get a 3080 at some point.

Associate
OP
So I went for a Phanteks AMP 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply and threw in a WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive as i had 2xSSD and 2xHD on my rig and the PSU was 9yo as I say.

Not suffered a single crash since, and temperatures all round have gone down so I guess the PSU was reaching the end. New one is totally silent in comparison under normal load, and the M2 drive is a beauty for such a little thing as well.

Moved my gaming stuff to the M2 and that is fine, Hard Drives have gone from the system.

So in the end, after all the stuff I tried, I guess the error I was getting in the initial post was down to the PSU.

Now of course I am thinking I know I could upgrade the GPU again....

Back
Top Bottom