Upgrade in early November

Associate
Hey , just wondering on some advice come November time.

current specs, are ryzen 9 3900x , rog strix b 450 f gaming motherboard, 16 gigs of 3200 mhz speed ram and a 2080 super graphics card, i game on a 27 inch monitor at 1440p at 2560 by 1440 res.

Looking to get the best out of cyberpunk and next gen games.

Should i be fine with that cpu ? i was thinking on upping the ram to 32 gigs and maybe have it a higher speed, and possibly motherboard change ? and changing the 2080 super for a upcoming 3080.

spending wise i guess i could go around or over the £1200 mark, i already have a monitor and peripherals i am happy with, thanks for any help/advice

Associate
OP
I dont know if its just me, but spending near or over a £1000 on a monitor seems a lot, but i understand it would greatly enhance the experience, the temptation to upgrade is there, but i could wait a while, cpu be fine a few years ? will we see the 4000 series this year or early next ?

Soldato
cpu is fine, 4xxx is due at the end of the year but will require a new motherboard. i'd wait for the game and reviews of both flavours of new graphics cards to see if you really need an upgrade.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I dont know if its just me, but spending near or over a £1000 on a monitor seems a lot, but i understand it would greatly enhance the experience, the temptation to upgrade is there, but i could wait a while, cpu be fine a few years ? will we see the 4000 series this year or early next ?

Here's the thing, your current GPU and monitor are a great paring. Dropping in a 3080 will get you a bump in FPS and quality, but I'd argue that the overall experience would be quite similar. Going for an ultra-wide will be a new and improved experience that will allow the 3080 to really shine. You don't want to drop a ton of cash on these upgrades and then be left feeling it wasn't worthwhile because it feels too similar to what you had before.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Could you elaborate slightly please ?

Without G/Freesync you have 2 options, no sync or v-sync. No sync isn't really an option, screen tearing is pretty unpleasant. V-sync also isn't great, it can add input lag and cause frame rates to actually drop depending on how demanding the game is.

Back
Top Bottom