• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade pondering - 4790k

Associate
OP
lol from 4790k to 7700k side grade at most 1 to 3 fps difference , you want at least 6 core with threads .
That's kind of what I figured. Looking at it, I think it's more a vanity/aesthetic lust. My mobo (VII Ranger) is red, but my colour scheme is white, black and green (Hue+). The red is really irritating to look at. Think my mind is wanting to get rid of that deep down!

I'll wait until Coffee Lake and depending on prices, may jump to a Ryzen build...

Associate
Im in the same boat, got a 4770K that i've been running for just under 4 years at 4.5ghz and really want to change CPU, but i know in my head that at the moment it wont be that much of an upgrade but i still want to do it, been looking at second hand 5820k and new 6850k, 7800x and Ryzen 1700 with reviews and cant decide! Waiting on the reviews for the 8700k.

Associate
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking also. My 4790k is at 4.5 and still shreds everything I throw at it. I know in my head there's no reason at all to upgrade, but man, temptation...
Yep same here, plus if i do upgrade, my kids get an upgrade which is swinging it for me.

Associate
I'm in the same boat.

Any upgrade is DDR4, so means new RAM, which ups the cost quite a chunk. I could go 7700k, delid it, and get decent speeds, but.... even then it doesn't seem like much of a jump, and it's still quad core, still bugger all PCIe lanes (I want more for running a PCIe x4 4 channel USB3.0 card for Oculus Rift sensors, as well as a 10GBe card).

Ryzen 1700/1800x is similar price, scratches the "more cores" itch, but has even lower performance gains (4ghz max) in single threaded tasks, and the same PCIe limits.

x299 is obnoxious and has annoyed me due to things like, no soldered IHS, have to go to the 7900x to get 44PCIe, hot and probably negligible single threaded gains.

Threadripper is almost tempting me, but realistically 16 cores is over the top for me. I still gain little in terms of singlethreaded perf (although apparently it clocks higher than Ryzen 7), but it does have those PCIe lanes....

If I thought I could get TR to 4.5GHz or so I'd probably just buy that.

Caporegime
I'm in the same boat.

Any upgrade is DDR4, so means new RAM, which ups the cost quite a chunk. I could go 7700k, delid it, and get decent speeds, but.... even then it doesn't seem like much of a jump, and it's still quad core, still bugger all PCIe lanes (I want more for running a PCIe x4 4 channel USB3.0 card for Oculus Rift sensors, as well as a 10GBe card).

Ryzen 1700/1800x is similar price, scratches the "more cores" itch, but has even lower performance gains (4ghz max) in single threaded tasks, and the same PCIe limits.

x299 is obnoxious and has annoyed me due to things like, no soldered IHS, have to go to the 7900x to get 44PCIe, hot and probably negligible single threaded gains.

Threadripper is almost tempting me, but realistically 16 cores is over the top for me. I still gain little in terms of singlethreaded perf (although apparently it clocks higher than Ryzen 7), but it does have those PCIe lanes....

If I thought I could get TR to 4.5GHz or so I'd probably just buy that.

The 8 core Threadripper would probably clock a bit better than the 1800X, but not 4.5Ghz, nothing like that and while you would have the fistfull of IO you want its also a little more expensive than the 1800X, as is the Motherboard.

Associate
That's kind of what I figured. Looking at it, I think it's more a vanity/aesthetic lust. My mobo (VII Ranger) is red, but my colour scheme is white, black and green (Hue+). The red is really irritating to look at. Think my mind is wanting to get rid of that deep down!

I'll wait until Coffee Lake and depending on prices, may jump to a Ryzen build...

I'd definitely wait to see what coffe lake will be like first. I did upgrade from the 4790k with 1866mhz RAM to the 7700k with 3ghz RAM and I gained a good 10fps in Far Cry Primal even at 4K but the faster RAM probably helped mainly.

GTA online and the Division ran far nicer on the 7700k even at 4K as well.

Associate
The 8 core Threadripper would probably clock a bit better than the 1800X, but not 4.5Ghz, nothing like that and while you would have the fistfull of IO you want its also a little more expensive than the 1800X, as is the Motherboard.

Yeah, I've thought about that, and in some ways it seems the best option, but by the time I've spent so much on a motherboard/ram/new waterblock etc, I might as well go for the 12 or even 16 core.

And it still doesn't clock as high as I'd like.

Associate
OP
I'd definitely wait to see what coffe lake will be like first. I did upgrade from the 4790k with 1866mhz RAM to the 7700k with 3ghz RAM and I gained a good 10fps in Far Cry Primal even at 4K but the faster RAM probably helped mainly.

GTA online and the Division ran far nicer on the 7700k even at 4K as well.

Mmm interesting. Birthday is in October so likely to get a xb321hk as a present from me to me! Interesting that you saw gains at 4K. I'm at 1440p now but 4K gains could swing it. Then again, a jump to 4K probably warrants a GPU upgrade than a CPU upgrade. I'm confident my 980ti can just about hack 4K with GSync and all filtering disabled.

Associate
4790k is a beast. No need to upgrade from that. It trades blows with the i7 7700k and the Ryzen R7 1700.

If you were on an i5 or one of the FX chips then I'd say it's definitely upgrade time. But for you then I'd wait to see what Coffee Lake is, maybe even what the next round of Ryzen chips are like before plunging in on a build that will be more of a sidegrade than a serious upgrade.

Soldato
Far Cry Primal is a very standout title along with 4. Very CPU intensive and relies on single core and is usually the very best case scenario for highlighting IPC gains and Frequency changes. Most titles will not show such a significant change.

IMO really only coffee lake depending on how it pans out will be an upgrade in terms of pure gaming CPU. 4790k perform's similar to Haswell-E when those additional cores are not needed, or slightly better thanks to higher clock's which in itself is close or very slightly trails Broadwell-E, Ryzen and even Skylake-X (While IPC and frequency is good here, the Cache and Topoplogy seemingly affect game performance)

Back
Top Bottom