Upgrade time around a Ryzen 7 2700X

Associate
The current PC is a good few years old (current specs) and I'm looking to build something that can help with Video Editing, Photo editing, and gaming.

I've always been an Intel fan girl but am very tempted at the AMD range now. I know the new Ryzen 5 range is really popular, but I was looking to build a system around the Ryzen 7 2700 to take advantage of the 8core/16thread and price point.

Below is what I am looking at minus the CPU and Graphics card (which I can't decide on).

Any thoughts/advice welcomed

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £848.44 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Soldato
The Samsung evo nvme is overpriced and offers no real noticeable real world performance over a cheaper alternative. 500gb for half the price or 1tb for the same cost.

Total: £235.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

The 3700x would be an exellent option if you can up the budget a little and maybe make a saving on the nvme.​

Soldato
Hello
I've tweaked your spec a bit. Bit quicker Ram for only a tenner more. No need for Artic Silver 5, The thermal paste included should be just as good. Seagate 8TB = Same price as the WD black & I doubt you'd notice any difference. Tosh ssd = almost as fast as the overpriced Samsung for nearly half the price. I dunno why the EVGA PSU is still listed on the website, I don't think OCUK will be getting any more, so theres an alternative. Unless you've found a 2700 or 2700x for a very good price second hand, I 'd go for a 3700x.

Total: £735.99 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Soldato
If you're adding a wireless card you might as well go for the MSI B450 Pro Carbon instead, it works out cheaper as it comes with built in WiFi/Bluetooth and is on par with the Tomahawk:

Total: £128.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Hold in mind you've two cases selected there before you put the order though.

Associate
OP
Patriot has the best latencies for good price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g320c6k-my-106-pa.html

All HDDs are dog slow compared to SSDs and there's zero sense to pay some super expensive GB prices from any HDD.
Unless you're raising cattle by feeding them banknotes.
That luxury should be put to bigger SSD for enough space as work drive.

HDD are a luxury? I don't understand.

I'd rather have the amount of storage I need than constantly be worrying about storage running out, plus the price of an SSD for what I need would blow my budget out the water.

Soldato

I'd rather have the amount of storage I need than constantly be worrying about storage running out, plus the price of an SSD for what I need would blow my budget out the water.

I'm guessing due to your needs to you like to make (and keep) huge file size/resolution images (for example) and then reduce them as needed for whatever you're working on?

I can understand that, I think what EsaT is getting at is that for most users huge file capacity is just unnecessary compared to appreciable drive speed.

Soldato
WD Black is bat crazy priced per TB for old spinning rust.
Its speed over 5400RPM drives is completely meaningless against SSDs with TLC Flash drives putting it through meat grinder and peeing on its grave in everything.
So unless you're feeding some cows/sheeps banknotes as hobby there's zero sense in it.

Soldato
WD Black is bat crazy priced per TB for old spinning rust.
Its speed over 5400RPM drives is completely meaningless against SSDs with TLC Flash drives putting it through meat grinder and peeing on its grave in everything.
So unless you're feeding some cows/sheeps banknotes as hobby there's zero sense in it.

What would your opinion be if someone was using such a HDD as a drive for commonly used massive files? It's rare but I do know people that keep 3-4tb + HDD's for such purposes.

Speaking mainly of the 4TB 7200RPM WD Black.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Seasonic Core would be £5 cheaper 7 year warranty semi modular PSU
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...w-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-06y-ss.html

Alpenfohn would be better cooler for 3700X, though that stock mounting isn't exactly what I would use for full 120mm size cooler.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-ben-nevis-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-048-al.html
Arctic Freezer 34 uses direct mounting to support plate on backside.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-co-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-079-ar.html

For case fans Arctic P12 PWM is good and very well priced:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html

Secondary M.2 slots shares chipset's limited PCIe lanes with x1 slots and is limited to PCIe v2.
Which gives 2GB/s bandwidth for four lanes.

And when installing Windows its always best to have only intended target drive attached and attach other drives only after installnig Windows.
Microsoft is chronically incapable to doing good code quality even in installer, which often drops OS boot data to wrong drive causing major headache, if changing drive configuration later.

Associate
You don't really need a CPU cooler as ryzen processors come with fairly decent ones - only reason to get an aftermarket one is if you're overclocking or want something quieter. Also you have a GTX 970 already right? The RX 580 performs very similarly so you'd be better off just keeping your current card and upgrading to something else down the line.

Don't think that case will fit a DVD drive by the looks of it either - Need one with an expansion slot or could just get an external USB DVD drive if you're not using regularly

Back
Top Bottom