1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Time Help Please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phil Gr, 21 Jul 2006.

  1. Phil Gr


    Joined: 30 Nov 2003

    Posts: 412

    Location: In a house

    I know this is a common theme but i need help please, things have moved on soo much i have lost track of what is good and what is not.

    Current PC Spec

    Motherboard - DFI LAN Party NFII Ultra B
    Processor - AMD Athlon 2500 Mobile (overclocked)
    Memory - 1 Gig Ram (Corsair i think)
    Video - AIW 9800
    HD 1 - 2 x 37 Gig WD Raptors In Raid 0 SATA
    HD 2 - 2 x 160 gig Samsung Spinpoint Raid 0 SATA
    DVDRW - Lite-On - LDW-811S
    DVD - Samsung DVD SD616

    I used to play alot of FPS games but time now limits this activity so gaming is not such an priority
    What i would like is a very Fast Photoshop Machine

    Tough one, funds are tight so say £300

    Thanks in advance
  2. ukdave


    Joined: 4 Oct 2003

    Posts: 280

    Location: UK

    Difficult one, personnally i'd wait until you had a slightly higher budget, 400-500, 500 being preferable.

    Then you could get a 939 mobo, 939 chip, new GPU and keep your RAM and everything else.

    You're in a difficult situation because with AMD and Intel's current generation platforms all now on DDR2 and PCIe you could upgrade everything. You could even go for a lower end Conroe setup if you could get some DDR2 RAM.

    If it was me i'd ditch the lot, but you'd have to wait until you had some more £££. You may also need a new PSU which would increase the cost a bit.

    If your budget is not flexible then maybe a 939 package which includes a mobo with AGP so you can upgrade your GPU later.
  3. lee87


    Joined: 31 Jul 2005

    Posts: 2,592

    You could upgrade to a decent skt 939 system but the cpu wouldn't be very upgradable. If you can go £20 over the budget then change the 3800+ for a X2 3800+.

    GX-044-CO Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO) 1
    £136.95 £136.95
    CP-116-AM AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3800BPBOX) (CP-116-AM) 1
    £66.95 £66.95
    MB-002-AK Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 (Socket 939 & Upgradable to AM2) AGP & PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-002-AK) 1
    £34.50 £34.50
    Subtotal £238.40
    VAT £41.72
    Total £280.12
  4. Tetras


    Joined: 22 Jun 2006

    Posts: 3,743

    Edit: I was typing when above was posted but i'll leave mine as is, kinda works with it :p

    Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds)
    Asrock ConroeXFire-eSATA2 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Conroe" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
    Corsair 1GB DDR2 Value Select PC5300 Dual Channel Kit (2x512MB)
    Subtotal £241.85
    Shipping (City Link Parcel Next Day (Delivered Mon-Fri)) £8.25
    VAT £43.77
    Total £293.87

    Could upgrade to 2GB of Ram later. You can't just use any old power supply for that though, something like a Seasonic S12 430 would cover it but is another £40 odd on top, then you'd need a graphics card and it'd end up closer to £400.

    X2 3800+ 939 or Am2 are £120 now, could get a cheapish mobo like Asrock DualSATA and use current ram and graphics card (if 939 board) and another matched pair for 2GB total. New PSU if you need one. Would be £270 or so (including a PSU). Then you could go for AM2 daughter board and new graphics card later.

    Asrock are going to do an AGP 8x board and an AGP 8x / PCI-E 16x (running at 4x) for Conroe neither of which will be that expensive (limited upgrade options though). For your uses I'd try get 2GB of Ram and a dual core CPU, might even be more worthwhile just getting 2GB for current system until you can afford something bigger.
    Last edited: 22 Jul 2006