• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgraded 1060 to 1660 but Getting Lower FPS (please help)

Associate
Hi Guys,

I got hold of a used gtx 1660 6gb for a good deal, so I agreed to give it to my friend to upgrade his gtx 1060 3gb.

He is running:
i5 7500 3.4GHz
Asus H110M-R
8gb DDR4 2400MHz in single channel
Aerocool Integrator 500w psu

On paper it should have been a nice upgrade, I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't give at least a 10-20% fps boost. But after running before and after benchmarks such as Heaven Unigene and R6 Siege in game benchmark the 1660 was performing WORSE, with between 5-10fps less than the 3gb 1060.

I knew that there could potentially be some bottlenecking from the cpu, but thought it would still be scoring more overall. There was no freezes or lag spikes, just consistent lower fps.

I also know his ram situation is not ideal and I am looking to find him another 8gb to run dual channel as we speak, but as this variable was not changed before and after I don't think it comes into the equation.

I used DDU to remove all old drivers and ensured the latest were installed for the 1660. Temperatures were fine, in fact a lot lower for the 1660 which is expected being a newer card. Even checked every source possible (apart from taking the card apart) such as CPU-Z to make sure I wasn't scammed and the card is what it says it is!

There's only one thing that I didn't do because I didn't think of it at the time, and that was a bios update. But would that really make the card jump from an average of 50fps in Heaven benchmark on extreme to 80fps? Doubtful.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Associate
OP
Has he tried anything more recent?

Do you mean a more recent graphics card? Or tried anything else to fix it recently?

I don't think it would help to try my 2070 super in his build, but I will try the 1660 with my i5 9600 to see if it still struggles with frame rate knowing there is no chance of a bottleneck.

Caporegime
Maybe for some reason his PC has limited the PCI Express bandwidth when the GPU was changed? Get him to run a render test on GPU-Z to check it's using PCIE 3.0 16x

Soldato
Is it actually running full power and max clocks? Check using GPU-Z or Afterburner.

As an unrelated observation. A relatively cheap and easy performance improvement could be had by upgrading to 16GB RAM, 2x8GB in dual channel.

Soldato
whats your CPU/GPU usage like with the new card vs the old ? That CPU + single channel memory i would have though be a bottle neck.

That being said I wouldn't of though you get a reduction in performance unless Turnings drivers are more cpu intensive than pascal's

Associate
OP
Is it actually running full power and max clocks? Check using GPU-Z or Afterburner.

As an unrelated observation. A relatively cheap and easy performance improvement could be had by upgrading to 16GB RAM, 2x8GB in dual channel.

I will check afterburner next time I go to his house, that's a good idea thanks. Someone else said I should flash the bios of the 1660 in case it was used for mining.

Associate
OP
whats your CPU/GPU usage like with the new card vs the old ? That CPU + single channel memory i would have though be a bottle neck.

That being said I wouldn't of though you get a reduction in performance unless Turnings drivers are more cpu intensive than pascal's

I did not compare usages before and after, in hindsight this could have proven helpful. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to stay at his house all night long running tests!

Man of Honour
Do you mean a more recent graphics card? Or tried anything else to fix it recently?

I don't think it would help to try my 2070 super in his build, but I will try the 1660 with my i5 9600 to see if it still struggles with frame rate knowing there is no chance of a bottleneck.
I meant a newer set of benchmarks :)

Associate
The PSU should be plenty enough for that system and the card, I know aerocool is a bargin basement brand I would check the volts the 1660 is getting enough juice.

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom