Upgraded from GTX 1080 to RTX 2080ti No Performance Increase

Associate
OP
Bit of a pointless upgrade if you ask me. I bought a 2080ti 2 weeks ago and sent it back for the exact same reasons, no benefit. If you game at 1440p a single 1080ti is plenty. I use 2 x 1080ti but a single 1080ti is plenty from my experience. The RTX cards offer nothing, I for one will not be buying an RTX card again until they know how to use the tech properly, 2000 series is certainly not for me.
I have a 1080 not a ti

Associate
OP
Once upon a time I did a GPU upgrade and seen nothing in fact it could have been slower, nothing I did worked with driver cleaners/sweeper etc and in the end it took a fresh Windows install to fix.

Not sure how but Windows can be that way sometimes nut this was probably XP days.

Pop in a spare SSD/HDD and do a quick bare Windows and driver install and see if any better?

On the new modern warfare i am getting the exact same fps maybe abit worse and some freezing should I uninstall windows? And try that

Associate
Have you put on MSI afterburner and used the monitoring overlay with GPU and CPU utilisation? That should indicate where the issue is.

I agree with this. You need to understand which part of your system is maxed out when you're experiencing frame rate drops. If your video card is sitting there quietly whistling to itself while the CPU is locked at 100%, then there's your answer right there.

If everything is sitting at low utilisation, then you probably have a software issue, and cleaning your install should help.

Afterburner gives you options to change the power delivery to the card. If this has no effect for you, then you probably have an underpowered PSU that can't deliver the power that the card needs (I see that 650W is the recommended spec for a 2080 ti-based system).

Soldato
I would not be surprised if the CPU was bottlenecking here. My Brother had the 3570k and a 980Ti and while playing MW, it was stuttering really badly with 100% CPU usage. The fact its not overclocked (I know it can't be) might indicate the CPU is the cause here.

Check the CPU load while gaming, I'd gamble its hitting 100%

Back
Top Bottom