Upgraded from Vertagear SL 5000 to Herman Miller Embody - Review Thread

Sgarrista
Commissario
Hi all!

So this is to put some thoughts out on making the significant price jump from a gaming chair to an actual ergonomic chair.

The original:

Vertagear SL 5000. Aka Chinese cheap white label tat.

Not a bad chair, but was never comfortable. Purchased the first one, but the gas lift went within a few weeks. Messaged vertagear, took them a month to reply to be told to sod off. In the meantime had purchased a new lift.

Creaks and groans all over, cheap bits of plastic snapped off. Eventually the tilt mechanism broke (for reference im 70kg so not like my excessive weight is to blame). OCUK kindly provided new mechanism but the way it has broke meant it was stuck in place. Chair binned.

New one purchased in a sale (no idea why, other than I needed a new chair quickly and it was available). This was Dec 2019.

2 Years on this is the state of the thing. Absolute garbage.

177757736-10219550630303873-5625598719463476508-n.jpg

Would I recommend anyone to buy one? Not a chance.

Over lockdown had seen the Herman Miller Embody Logitech version. This is padded more than the original which was my main gripe for not buying one of the originals. HM had supply issues with these and has taken a long time to get one ordered.

Finally got one ordered 2 weeks ago. Turned up today. Was told a date and time the delivery guy was going to turn up. Super friendly, offered to take the box away or take it inside if needed, was busy at the time so told him just leave it all on the drive.

179162855-10219550630583880-5654768103359085423-n.jpg

For such an expensive chair, even the opening is somewhat of an event.

177295919-10219550630983890-1365594065258377786-n.jpg

178907034-10219550631383900-8674972287646842093-n.jpg

171512751-10219550631663907-8662247311955799544-n.jpg

179043921-10219550632143919-7207479572446548196-n.jpg

Then lifted inside for a test sitting.

178494942-10219550632423926-4960142148447390553-n.jpg

178934875-10219550632783935-2220259785413356151-n.jpg

The chair itself is super comfy but making my back hurt a little, guessing that actually being in a correct posture is a novelty for my back and neck. Fortunately 2 weeks now to see if that sorts it out or not and im going to be logging some serious hours in it.

Being a skinnier person, can feel, but not to great discomfort the back contact points on the chair even with the additional padding. Unsure on if that will just be an initial phase or not.

Dont like the armrests lack of rotation and how far back they (dont) go. I like to tuck my arms in when watching youtube / netflix and as of right now its weird not having somewhere I can perch my elbows on.

The same for a headrest, id like to be able to tilt my head back and enjoy a more relaxed posture when watching.

Pulling upto my desk it became apparent very quickly how many bad habbits I had picked up.

This chair through design and function encourages correct sitting, and within minutes I had started to fidget to sit in one of the many terrible for my back ways, but this chair points them out to you gently and persuasively to get back to sitting correctly.

Taking a break, got to looking at the build of the chair and it just oooozes quality everywhere. Everything is thoughtful and well placed, no rattles, everything is firm and moves with reassuring effort locking into place. The fabric is just sublime and after 5 hours not feeling sweaty or hot.

The initial pains and groans in my back are starting to subside but we will see after a few weeks if this is temporary or not.

The reviews comments on the creaks of the pixel system are accurate, most noticeably if you shift your weight around the creaks in the base are noticeable. So much so that simply lifting your heel slightly can cause a creak. This may be a dealbreaker for me as I will often twitch my foot when working on some complex code or deep in concentration.

So, one day down and mixed opinion at this point.

Soldato
The chair itself is super comfy but making my back hurt a little, guessing that actually being in a correct posture is a novelty for my back and neck.

I've heard this 'correct posture is making me hurt' thing before and I reckon it's just people trying to convince themselves that the nice, well-researched and expensive chair is as perfect as they want it to be. I hope you find otherwise, but I suspect you'll be sending that chair back, especially with all the other points you've raised. You should just be able to sit in the 'perfect' chair and know at once that it's right for you (imo), rather than having mixed opinions after one day.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
I've heard this 'correct posture is making me hurt' thing before and I reckon it's just people trying to convince themselves that the nice, well-researched and expensive chair is as perfect as they want it to be. I hope you find otherwise, but I suspect you'll be sending that chair back, especially with all the other points you've raised. You should just be able to sit in the 'perfect' chair and know at once that it's right for you (imo), rather than having mixed opinions after one day.

2 days in and the initial aches and pains are diminishing day by day and ive become aware when sitting on the sofa etc how often im arching my back or sitting in a bad way.

After adjusting the chair as correctly as I can make out so my feet are flat on the floor, shoulders rolled back ive moved my monitor from the lowest position to the highest and still think it might be a little low.

I'm not looking for reasons to like the chair with its flaws, but it certainly has improved my posture while working. I am also aware it is undoing years of terrible sitting habbits in crap gamer chairs so getting used to it right away might not happen. As I said im going to be giving it extremely heavy use in the 2 week trial so if im not completely happy it will go back.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So 12 days into ownership and ive sent my email to HM to collect the chair.

Is this chair good? Yes, would often lie down after a days work and my back would give out a huge wave of pain/relief from the old chair. That hasnt happened once in the HM so its obviously helping there.

However, simply put I need more time with it. When sat in it I can feel the muscles in the back being stretched out, kind of like im curving my back "too much", this can be exasperated with turning the adjustment all the way to he curved, however when reducing the curvature it also has the effect of pushing the top of the chair and shoulders forward which then noticeable moves the tension into my neck, and yet to find a perfect balance between the two.

Not sure how much of this is simply years and years of 18 hour days in terrible seating positions and how much is just that the chair doesnt fit me, because actually the fit seems spot on.

It has been commented my standing position is also improved, that I dont stand with a rolled forward shoulders anymore, stand straight with rolled back shoulders more natural.

The seat is supremely comfortable, when sat on correctly.

The arms complaint is still there, they dont go back enough.

The lack of headrest is also noticeable, I often like to lean back and consider my work, and not having a headrest has become quite annoying, though there is a 3rd party one coming out. Having said that again in previous chairs I would get neck pains regularly, those have disappeared.

Today ordered a steelcase gesture with headrest, hopefully they will both be here at the same time for comparison.

As a gaming chair, think HM need to consult with actual gamers rather than logitech. People who spent days on end and what they need or want. Ultimately logitechs input has been "add a bit of foam" and doesnt address what gamers want or need. Will actually send them some constructive feedback because this chair is fantastic, and with some basic changes would be stellar.

Permabanned
I bought an office chair, gaming chairs are a joke but thought this would be different due to maker.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry saw that Vertagear and I honestly have no idea what you do to your chairs but this ones 5 years old used daily and 6"2 and 95kg, I cried laughing at yours lol :p:p
4miudl1.jpg

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
After nearly another week waiting for HM to collect the chair, I really tried to make it work.

An extra pad to boost the height of the seat, an angled footrest, changing the settings as much as possible and it just doesnt work with my back.

The setting to reduce the severity of the back curve means as you losen it off, the top of the chair tilts forwards, if I push against this its perfect, but means soon as I lean forward or let off, it pushes the top of my back forward and becomes uncomfortable.

The armrests, still not happy with no forward or backward movement and limited adjustability.

This morning a Steelcase Gesture turned up.

Right away a much MUCH better fit.

No back stretching, the armrests can be plonked exactly where I like them, and having a headrest oh yes!!!

Downsides.

The foam on the chair is quite firm, no where near as comfortable as the HM. But as with all fresh foam needs a break in.

Air gap between the back and the base, feels a bit weird having airflow there but not all over.

The seat itself is quite a lot smaller. Not really an issue for me but the "larger" gent may not appreciate it.

Lets hammer this for 2 weeks and see what we end up concluding.

Associate
Sorry saw that Vertagear and I honestly have no idea what you do to your chairs but this ones 5 years old used daily and 6"2 and 95kg, I cried laughing at yours lol :p:p
4miudl1.jpg
Thank you! I have the same chair and it's about the same age as yours and looks nearly new. I use it for hours every day and weigh around 76kg so this guy is definitely doing something mad for his chair to end up looking like that after only 2 years lmao. How do you even break the arm off of it, that thing is sturdy as :cry:

Permabanned
He must have been a naughty boy sat there in it? Stick a towel down next time ;)
I bought my mum a massage office chair for her birthday one year, the people she told took the micky out of her and myself saying that it was on so many levels of wrong.

Soldato
People who use chairs with cheap fake leather: stop sitting naked in the chair in the middle of summer and sweating all over it - do this and your chair won't look like OP's after 2 years

Associate
thanks for the review at least. I had been tempted with HM chairs but didn't in the end.

Also Grims sig is making me rethink a few things for my next computer.

Associate
@ kindai how has it gone with the steel case, im glad you posted this. i was looking at the HM Embody but not sure if it would suit my usage. i dont use it for gaming but for painting on my wacom so im bent over the desk a bit more rather than sat back in the chair.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
@ kindai how has it gone with the steel case, im glad you posted this. i was looking at the HM Embody but not sure if it would suit my usage. i dont use it for gaming but for painting on my wacom so im bent over the desk a bit more rather than sat back in the chair.

The steelcase gesture is fantastic. The adjustable lumbar support means anyone who tried it can find a great support position.

The adjustability is something else, and its build like a tank.

Would highly recommend one.

Associate
Well this has me tempted with a new chair to try out. I've been quite happy with the Titan but I move between a room in the house and a shed. So I am in need of a second chair.

Associate
Different approach here. Try an HM Aeron. I've had the same one for almost 20 years (bought in 2002) and sit in it for 8+ hours every day. It still looks almost like new - no way anyone would guess how long I've had it. No need for padding, it's mesh, and there is only a tiny bit of sag where I sit even after all this time. Spend a few mins dialling in the position and the lumbar support and voila. Good posture and no aches. Ok, they are now twice the price that I paid, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I needed to.

Associate
Pointed a friend to this thread. First comments where how the hell did he do that to a 2 year old chair.

They have the same chair and it’s pristine compared plus using it for work everyday.

Back
Top Bottom