Upgraded RAM on Windows 10 HP notebook not showing

Associate
Hi,

Have bought a HP 250 G4 Notebook and put in an extra Kingston 8gb RAM in the spare slot. It's Windows 10 64 bit so should support more RAM.

Opened up the laptop casing fine and slotted in the RAM with no issue. Turned on laptop and all works fine but it's still saying there is only 4gb installed.

I've run msconfig and maximum memory is not ticked.

Any suggestions?

Associate
Since that model's specs show it supports a maximum of 8Gb RAM with 2 SODIMM slots I'm guessing it won't recognise the new RAM at all, try getting another 4Gb instead.

Associate
OP
OK, it says on the HP website for that model when it's running 64 bit it can support up to 128gb ram?

Will try that.

Was going to do that next Chickadee but was trying to avoid as don't want to fiddle too much with it! At least it is still running ok which is a relief.

Associate
I can't find any mention on the HP site of the machine being able to support 128Gb of RAM - maybe you're confusing the limit of 64bit Windows?

Link to the models specifications

UQJICS6.png

It says the same on the product page as well but since its a current model and for sale on it I can't link to a competitors etc.

Edit: reading further in the specs it will support a single 8Gb SODIMM so take the 4Gb out and it could work.

Last edited:
Associate
Are the ram sticks both the same spec? same speeds?

Also Long shot, is it one of those laptops that have a graphics card that shares system RAM?

2. Discrete graphics memory uses part of the total system memory for video performance. System memory dedicated to
video performance is not available for other use by other programs.

Associate
OP
I DID IT!!!

I replaced the original 4gb with the new 8gb and it works. PHEW. Must be it can only handle max 8gb. Thanks for all your help :)

For some this isn't much of an accomplishment but as I have never taken apart a new laptop (or old) and done an upgrade it's quite an achievement. :D

Associate
Well done :D - glad to see you sorted it. 8Gb isn't so bad, my HP Envy is the same and for a 6yo laptop works fine with it and Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom