Upgrading fan to be quieter for my Dell Optiplex 7010

Associate
I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 (it's a slim line PC) with an Intel i5 processor. I've set it up to be a Plex media server. It's not loud but it's not quiet either. I was wondering if anyone knows of an easy fan upgrade that will make it considerably quieter. I know this might be challenging due to the slim form factor but thought I'd check.

I don't use the PC for gaming or anything other than as a Plex media server. I have a few 4k movies (which wouldn't be transcoded). The rest are 1080p or 720p which may get transcoded. I don't expect it to server more than one video stream at a time.

Pictures of the PC:

Inside: https://www.dropbox.com/s/24zzpy8c11q55er/inside.jpg?dl=0
Front: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9wwsdprchewc00/front.jpg?dl=0

Soldato
Not much of ways to change fan into that.

But you could see if you can open that cooler for making sure there's no dust clogging it and change thermal paste.

Soldato
What EsaT said.

Open it up so you can clean all the coolers and maybe remove coolers, clean and re-install with new TIM.

Soldato
noctua nh-l9i would most likely fit in there
Do Dell motherboards have standard cooler mounting holes? I know their fans have their own proprietary connectors, I don't know about cooler mount. Even with a better cooler the cae airflow is extremely limited, and if cooler isn't getting a good supply of cool temps and fan speed will still be high.

Edit: If stock cooler has a filmly buildup on it you can wash it in hot water with dishwashing detergent, tne dry well with something like a hair dryer or warm up oven (not too warm), turn off and put cooler in to dry. Then install with new TIM.

Associate
OP
I just had a look at the mounting points and it doesn't look standard. It has two screws on one edge, and on the other edge it has a single screw (so 3 in total, a triangle formation). Having had a deeper look, it definitely has some big dust balls which probably don't help. I'll try removing and cleaning it as described. I'll also add some Grizzly TIM (seems to have really good reviews for it).

Once I done the above, I wonder if I can disable the case fan to help make it quieter.

Soldato
A good cleaning and new re-seat with new TIM may be all it needs. Any of the top TIM are good. All perform within a couple degrees of each other. In fact top 30ish top tier are all within a few degrees. Liquid metal is a couple degrees better but way more expensive and way harder to apply and get a good seat with.

Short story, any top tier TIM is fine.

I wouldn't disable case fan. Doing that would stop case airflow so cooler would not receiving any cool air to replace the air going through cooler. This means things will run hotter, quite possibly so hot it will shutdown.

Soldato
It's worth identifying which can is the one making the noise you dislike. Could be the PSU.

At least the case fan might be replaceable but I wouldn't bank on it, OEMs often use non-standard connectors.

Back
Top Bottom