Upgrading my 5yr old components

Associate
Hi all!

I bought a gaming Pc from OC in 2015 and I think I want to upgrade the Ram and maybe graphics card so that it can keep up with few of the newer releases.
1st question: can I just upgrade my ram and graphics card without upgrading processor or other components?
2nd question:
RAM - current = Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1600MHz
New do I need to just get the Kingston 16gb set? Or I assume any 16gb set will work?
Graphics - current = GeForce GTX 960 (2048 GDDR5)
Any recommendations for 4gb cards or more? (Budget £150?)

If you need any more information just give me a shout! And apologies if I've made any forum mistakes...I couldn't see a forum rules post.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Ash

Soldato
Welcome aboard.
And this is correct forum.

Basing on lower mainstream components for already when it was new, CPU is also likely bottleneck for many heavier games.
Core/thread countr demands are rising now and next-gen consoles will bring pretty much underclocked for energy efficiency variant of Ryzen 3700X as mainstream.

With DDR3 memory being dead end on usefullness would use only minimal money into that and adding another 8GB instead of replacing all.
Or is motherboard some ITX model with only two DIMM slots?
MSinfo can tell motherboard's model:
https://www.nextofwindows.com/4-way...therboard-model-inside-your-windows-7-machine

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the response.
The processor is fine I think. It's an 'Intel Pentium k anniversary g3258' but overclockers supplied it overclocked (I think) to 4.2ghz (the performance tab of the task manager confirms it can run toa maximum of 4.19).

Also yes, it only has 2 ram slots (I have opened it up to have a look)....so i assume it'll be easier to change over both of my 4gb units?

Soldato
Hi thanks for the response.
The processor is fine I think. It's an 'Intel Pentium k anniversary g3258' but overclockers supplied it overclocked (I think) to 4.2ghz (the performance tab of the task manager confirms it can run toa maximum of 4.19).

Also yes, it only has 2 ram slots (I have opened it up to have a look)....so i assume it'll be easier to change over both of my 4gb units?
The g3258 is only a duel core CPU and very poor by today's standards, you really want a minimum of 6 cores 12 threads and even then 8 cores will be better if you want to keep the CPU 5 years +.

I would recomend a b450, ryzen 5 3600 or 3700x and 16gb of ddr4 3200-3600 before even considering a Gpu upgrade.

Soldato
CPU being Intel's anniversary versionscam doesn't mean anything.
Dual core/dual thread CPU was simply low end already half dozen years ago.
And basically it was good for games designed dozen years ago.
(though it might struggle to run Crysis...)

Unless playing only old games there's no sense to pour good money into it.
That would be like going into today's F1 race with Lotus 49.

Back
Top Bottom