Upgrading my 9yr old PC... sanity check please

Associate
I'm a software engineer and a gamer. I also have a HTC Vive. I'm looking to upgrade for extra performance on the VR side and also on the coding side (the project I work on has a lot of docker going on and more memory/cores would be good here).

I have an existing PC from 9 years ago that has been partially upgraded (new graphics card, HDD, etc). Looking to focus on bumping the CPU and memory with this next set of parts.

Probably not relevant, but I game in Windows 10 and code in Ubuntu.

Existing parts I'm planning to re-use:
  • Case - Akasa Eclipse-62 (supports ATX)
  • PSU - Corsair CX650 650W
  • HDD - 2x Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO
  • GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 (8gb)
Existing parts I’d probably bin:
  • CPU - Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield)
  • Memory - Misc. Adding up to 12gb
Parts I'm thinking of buying:
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4)
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3200 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
  • Motherboard - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
I initially specced out a 570X mobo, but, then read about heat/power issues and the need for active cooling on the board (I do like my machine quiet when I'm coding). So, hunted down a board that could have the BIOS upgraded without a CPU.

Is this sane? Is there anything that would be an obvious better choice?

Cheers!

Associate
This is OC. We like shiny.

If you want 32GB ram then you want it.

If you want 3700x then you want it.

The gradual evolution over 9 years puts you more in the 16GB and ryzen 3600 territory like so many of us.

Associate
OP
I looked at the Tomahawk Max, but, the lack of on-board wifi made it a no for me. That said, I could just get a new usb wifi dongle (I'm also planning on wiring the house).

Looks like the Tomahawk max is cheaper. Guessing it's worth the extra? :)

Back
Top Bottom