Upgrading my old Titan Triceratop Rig

Associate
Hi All,

I have an old PC that I have upgraded a little over the years. It is still going and I have been running my Vive on it. I will be getting a new gaming rig after my wedding later this year but I was thinking of upgrading the processor on my old PC in the meantime.

Everything else was pretty easy to upgrade but I am clueless with the processor.

The original setup was the Titan Triceratop from 2011.

System Specification
- Case: Coolermaster Elite 335 Case - Black
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650W PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz Sandybridge overclocked to 4.40GHz
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68AP-D3 DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
- RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6GB/s
- Graphics Card: Choice of the latest DX11 Graphics cards
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Would someone be able to advise a processor to get as an upgrade? I understand thet Overclockers dont supply a suitable option for this any more.

What do I have to look for to make sure the processor will work in my motherboard? Is it just the socket number? (1155 I believe).

Thanks for your help!

Jack

Caporegime
Associate
OP
Thank you for the swift response!

I have actually already increased the RAM. It came with a 2 x 2gb kit. I have since added a 2 x 8gb kit. I also have a GTX 1060 6gb and I have added a new PSU. All over a long period of time.

The CPU is the only part left to switch out I think.

Does the revision of the board affect which CPU I can get or is that just to make sure I upgrade the BIOS correctly?

Ill start having a look now.

Thanks again!

Jack

Caporegime
The board revision looks like they can both take the same cpus, just the BIOS version differs that is needed.

You can only run a socket 1155 cpu, so you cant do i7 extreme 3930K etc.

Only the ones in the links I gave.

Associate
OP
Thanks both.

Its mainly to give my Vive as much help as it can get. Some of the more demanding games dont run perfectly.

Cheers Jack

Soldato
If your motherboard has profile save slots, you can save the current one (might be saved already) and try squeezing a bit more out of the CPU.

I would add an SSD as primary/OS/programs/a few games drive. It can carry over to your next build.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info Danny,

I forgot to add that I have upgraded my hard drive to SSD for the OS and more demanding games. The old 500gb is now just a secondary drive.

The CPU is still running overclocked and I'm not confident enough in my ability to try and get any more out of it :)

Cheers

Jack

Associate
OP
Hi All,

Thank you for your help with this so far. I have successfully fitted my i7 3770k and it is has given me an improvement in performance and benchmarking.

I'm looking for a little more help if possible.

I have overclocked my GPU and I was looking to overclock my CPU in a similar way to my previous i5 2550k. Unfortunately it seems I can only up the multiplier in the BIOS to 39. I was hoping to get this up to somewhere between 40 and 45.

It seems as though this is a limitation with the motherboard and that it is limited to 39 max with this CPU. I have looked for information online and it seems as though a number of people have been hitting the same problem but I thought that as if has been a few years now since all of the posts I was seeing, there may now be an alternative solution.

I am running the latest version of the BIOS (F8) but it still only lets be up the multiplier to 39.

Are there any other ways that I may be able to overclock my CPU if the motherboard is limiting this to 39x? People have been suggesting using a UEFI BIOS but it doesn't look like there is an option with this motherboard (GA-Z68AP-D3 - rev 1.0)

Thanks again!

Jack

Soldato
Yeah, it's only to confirm it really is a 3770K but I'm guessing you've checked.

That UEFI BIOS you mentioned - I did find posts from a guy who says he managed to install a UEFI BIOS for revision 2.0 on the 1.0 board (which then allows fully unlocked multiplier for all CPUs apparently), but I don't know if anybody else confirmed that. Your board has dual BIOS I think? If so, could be worth a try and maybe not altogether risky. However, can't say for sure. Maybe someone else can help you with this. At the very least, that UEFI BIOS for 2.0 is worth exploring/asking about. He then had a sleep issue, so if you went down that route, and it worked, I'd disable sleep and hibernate immediately after.

Gigabyte are sometimes nice with providing BIOSes upon request if you join/ask in their forums. If one exists or someone can tweak an existing one for you.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for the info. I will look into trying the rev 2 on my board and let you know how i get on :)

I have checked the processsor and it is definitely i7 3770.

Cheers!

Associate
OP
Hi again,

i don't suppose you have a link to the guy who installed the version 2 UEFI BIOS do you? I have tried installing it but it does not work. I'm wondering what he did differently.

Alternatively, if you know what I might need to do to install this BIOS on the version 1 motherboard that would be greatly appreciated!

Kindest regards

Jack

Soldato
Hi again,

i don't suppose you have a link to the guy who installed the version 2 UEFI BIOS do you? I have tried installing it but it does not work. I'm wondering what he did differently.

Alternatively, if you know what I might need to do to install this BIOS on the version 1 motherboard that would be greatly appreciated!

Kindest regards

Jack

It'd take me a long time to find again, Jack. And even if I did, I remember he didn't explain if he modded the BIOS or it just worked for him. Like I said, nobody else confirmed so it may have been BS too, was just worth a try (on dual BIOS boards). Still think Gigabyte themselves are your best bet, either way, to get you that BIOS or let you know it's just not possible.

Back
Top Bottom