• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading to a x1800 512

Associate
Hi! I will soon (within the next few weeks) be upgrading from a 6600GT 128mb to a x1800XT 512mb. I currently have a 400w PSU (Codegen 300x) and its powering:

Asus K8N4-E motherboard
1.5 GB Ram
a 160GB & a 320GB Hard drive
1 NEC 3540A DVD RW Drive
Geforce 6600GT

I'm assuming that my PSU will not have the required wattage to run (or properly run) a x1800XT. What is the minimum wattage you would recommend? Also, which PSU make/model would you recommend?

Thanks a lot! :)

Soldato
TaKeN said:
I was always told its the amps you need, not always the Watts :p :confused:

The Akasa has 20A if i'm not mistaken, which should be enough. I like to have a little leeway though, for more overclocking\future upgrades.

Associate
TaKeN said:
So how come say a 600 watt cheapo psu can only have say 16 amps, and a decent tagan 420w can have 23 ??

becuase generally they cant - they say ther psu can give a lot of amps, when it will actually die

link me and ill try and be more specific

Soldato
m3csl2004 said:
becuase generally they cant - they say ther psu can give a lot of amps, when it will actually die

link me and ill try and be more specific

I dont have a link sorry :)

It just reminded me of when i built my first pc with my dad, and i he bought me a psu from " Cant Say Because I Will Get Botty Slapped :p " it had quite a high rated amount of watts, but there was only 16amps on the 12volt rail, so i bought myself this tagain :D

Im not trying to argue with you btw, im just curious :)

Associate
OP
TaKeN said:
I dont have a link sorry

It just reminded me of when i built my first pc with my dad, and i he bought me a psu from " Cant Say Because I Will Get Botty Slapped :p " it had quite a high rated amount of watts, but there was only 16amps on the 12volt rail, so i bought myself this tagain

Im not trying to argue with you btw, im just curious

Thanks a lot guys :) It seems that I will need to get a new PSU seeing as mine only has 16A on the 12V rail :(

http://www.sticklyman.com/PSU.JPG

Would the Ultra X-Connect 500W (CA-004-UX) be ok? It has 34A on the 12V rail.

Thanks again :)

Soldato
Its just marketing, u can describe a PSUs performance in more than one way. The favorite for sound systems is to quote peak to peak output where as the waveform will spend only a short time at its peak during one cycle. The more accurate way is to quote RMS power, this is just a mathematical way to add together the area under the graph so to speak.

Suspended
id splash out on a decent psu if i were you. I used to hae a 300watt one that came with the case i got for £22 and it knackered 2 of my hard drives and i lost all my uni work, shed loads of mp3s (over 10000) films and games. When i used to burn cds and connect a couple of 80mm fans and overclock my 9800pro drives would turn off and sometimes even restart my pc!

i now have this (hiper type R 580watt) powering an overclocked x1800xt, 2.8ghz opteron 146 and a few other bits

7159.jpg

no problems yet, was £80 but at least my computer wont die on me now!

Suspended
sr4470 said:
I'd still recommend Enermax\FSP\Seasonic\Tagan over Hiper.

By the way, its HMRC now, not Inland Revenue ;)

recommend away, just saying mine has been stable since i bought it about 4 months back.

cant be bothered to change, most know who thay are

Soldato
geeza said:
recommend away, just saying mine has been stable since i bought it about 4 months back.

Not saying Hiper is necessarily bad (certainly better than a generic) but given the choice available...

Suspended
not wishing to get into an argument here but what are you basing this upon, have you had a few hipers blow up on you or something in the past?

Back
Top Bottom