Upgrading - Torn between Ultrabook + eGPU or new tower

Associate
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for checking out my thread and providing your opinions.
I'll get straight to it - below are the specifications of my desktop and current MBP. I'm only doing casual gaming at the moment (mostly beatsaber!) but it's clear that my tower isn't quite up to the task now that I'm trying Expert+ tracks (CPU is constantly maxxed). I'm also doing more intensive software development now (microservices in Docker) and the MBP is starting to feel sluggish.

Desktop Specs:
i5 2500k - overclocked to 4.1Ghz
8GB DDR2 1333 dual channel
GTX 970
256gb SSD
750Gb HDD

MBP Specs:
Mid-2014 13" i5 2.6Ghz (2 cores, 4 threads)
8GB DDR2 1600
256Gb SSD

I'm not by any means wedded to macOS. In fact, apples lack of innovation lately plus their *ahem* below par keyboards have me questioning my relationship with the brand (also have iPhone, iPad, Apple TV).
With that in mind, I find myself thinking about getting something like an XPS13 with an Aurus eGPU. The XPS 13 will have enough grunt to handle all of my software dev workloads and the Aurus seems to run VR acceptably - or am I kidding myself? Realistically, I'm assuming putting that sort of load on a laptop will shorten its lifespan significantly.
The alternative is to spend probably less money on upgrading my desktop and remoting into it when I need the extra horsepower for software dev (and aren't at home of course!)

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom