1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading VERY old system...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Howitzer, 21 Apr 2010.

1. Howitzer

Wise Guy

Hi Peeps,

As I have my nice new system, my old one is now sitting unused - I had the thought that as it's now 'gathering dust' that I could use it to LAN the odd older game if the gf wanted a go or I had a mate round...

It's currently running:
    (Mobo unknown, part of an HP pre-build circa 2001)
    P4 2.6ghz (best capable)
    2GB DDR memory (max capable)
    250W PSU
    X1950pro (originally upgraded from 9200)

It's not bad - it runs M2:TW at medium settings.

Basically; If I were to get a bigger PSU and another X1950 would it get bottlenecked by the P4? Was hoping to be able to go from 256 to 512mb graphics...

I've looked around and a 400W PSU + a second hand 1950 would be about £40-£45. Would it even be worth it?

Last edited: 21 Apr 2010
  2. ajstan

Wise Guy

I think it would probably bottle neck, do you know what socket the CPU is? should be 478 or 775 I think. If it was 775 you could get a used dual core (maybe an e5300) then get a better GPU. (Trouble is you almost certainly need a new PSU then)

3. colzboppo

Hitman

If you can't find a decent way to upgrade it, maybe find some cheap / free / awesome old games it can easily handle u can both play? bolo? heh. Save yourself some £ throwing it down the AGP black hole, save up for a new baby rig, and downgrade it to a media server later in its life?
    Speaking from experience as i've upgraded old machines before, and ended up regretting it because i could get a semi new pc for almost the same..

4. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Yea, don't bother upgrading if it is a AGP system. Just keep save up more money for build a new rig.

5. Howitzer

Wise Guy

Hadn't thought of that! I'll check that out... I hope it is, it'd be much more worth it.

Yeah, I was thinking older games :)
    Will see how it goes. If it doesn't seem worth the money then I'll check out the baby rig idea.

6. Mel_P

Wise Guy

Windows Home Server (trial avaiable) - overspecc'd for that! Can use PIII.

7. Howitzer

Wise Guy

not much point, I only have that and my new rig :p