• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading

Associate
I'm tired of my AGP 9800 Pro and would like to take the plunge on crossing over to PCI E , now my current setup is Asrock Dual Sata Mobo AGP/PCI E , 1 Gb Corsair Value Select , AMD 3200 + my 9800 Pro

I'm looking to go for a SLi board with best bang for your buck GFX card (Nvidia)nothing to pricey as i'm on a budget .

Would i be best of selling off my current rig - the CPU + putting a couple of quid in ?
Or just try and start from scratch again .

Soldato
First off why do you need to change your mobo? Are you actually planning to run SLI?

If your monitor can only display up to 1280x1024 then personally I feel SLI id pointless. (used to have twin 7800GTX's in SLI and didn't really see the benefit of two cards over one at that resolution).

As for a graphics card your best bang for buck at the moment can be probably had with the X1800XT 256 which is available on OCUK for £234 including Vat (so about £240 posted).

If you don't plan on playing the newest games at max settings then a 6800GS would be a good bet available now for under £140 for pci-e.

Soldato
oweneades said:
First off why do you need to change your mobo? Are you actually planning to run SLI?

If your monitor can only display up to 1280x1024 then personally I feel SLI id pointless. (used to have twin 7800GTX's in SLI and didn't really see the benefit of two cards over one at that resolution).

As for a graphics card your best bang for buck at the moment can be probably had with the X1800XT 256 which is available on OCUK for £234 including Vat (so about £240 posted).

If you don't plan on playing the newest games at max settings then a 6800GS would be a good bet available now for under £140 for pci-e.
Agreed !
The AMD 3200 + is still a good CPU & Asrock AGP/PCIE is quite a good mobo. You could just get a PCI-E graphics card. As said the best bang per buck card is definitely the X1800XT 256MB, but if youre happy with lower than max settings the 6800GS may be the go.

If you want to upgrade the CPU as well, then look at the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939)

Back
Top Bottom