UPS - Dead Battery & Dead PC?

Associate
So I've had this UPS around 5 years: Cyberpower PFC Sinewave Series 1500VA UPS (CP1500EPFCLCD)

Recently something tripped the fuse in our house and my UPS started complaining. Went and looked at the display and it says "Fault F02" or something on the screen. Because it's been on for about 5 years solid I'm guessing the battery is just shot so was wanting to try replacing the battery before I shell out for a completely new one.

However, my PC now won't power on either :( after it happened I unplugged the UPS and thought I'll just power on my PC without a UPS until I can get a new battery, but when I plugged the power cable into my power supply, there was a loud pop/bang and a huge spark.

So a few questions really:

1. Where can I find a new battery for the UPS?
  2. How do I determine if the PC killed my UPS or the UPS killed my PC?
  3. Anyone know of any guides on the best way of diagnosing which parts are fried? (I've got a reasonable amount of experience building machines but almost 0 experience with electrical faults and diagnosing them.

Soldato
I'd start with replacing the PSU first as that's clearly had it. Then it's a case of hoping for the best to be honest as a PSU is capable of taking out pretty much anything when it dies in such a spectacular fashion.

As far as diagnosing what caused the issue I'm not sure you'll be able to - not with any certainty anyway

Soldato
I'd agree with ExRayTed, PSUs can do a fair bit of damage when they die. It's possible that that's what tripped the house breaker. I don't know how much UPSs do to protect upstream circuits.

Associate
OP
Is there a way to officially test the PSU before I go out and buy a new one? I only bought it just over a year ago (Start of Jan 2018) so it should still be under warranty anyway, but would rather be able to tell them it's 100% dead before RMAing - it's a Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, finally got chance to look at this again recently. I returned the power supply and put the replacement in. It's powering on again now :) just can't get Windows to boot anymore so need to see what's going on there.

Soldato
F02 is " Battery Output Short fault".
https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/File/GetCyberpowerFileByDocId/UM-18090003-01

That's somewhat ambiguous, but sounds like possible error state of UPS.
Because overload/too high draw of load should trigger F01 "Battery Mode or AC/Utility Power Mode Overload fault".

So not entirely sure what was starting cause.
But certainly there was something damaged/short citrcuited in primary of PSU and plugging PSU to wall again likely made that short circuited part about vaporize itself.

As for not booting into Windows double check all cables are firmly attached.
Then clearing CMOS would be next thing.
Also if PC was older and you didn't use it while waiting for replacement PSU, weak BIOS battery have gone dead.

Man of Honour
I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I thought the point of a UPS is to stop those sort of things happening? That being said I only have a very primitive knowledge of UPSs'

In this case it looks like the problem is on the device that is on the output side of the UPS - a UPS is designed to give fail over continuity primarily and protection from upstream power fault conditions secondarily.

F02 is " Battery Output Short fault".
https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/File/GetCyberpowerFileByDocId/UM-18090003-01

That's somewhat ambiguous, but sounds like possible error state of UPS.
Because overload/too high draw of load should trigger F01 "Battery Mode or AC/Utility Power Mode Overload fault".

So not entirely sure what was starting cause.
But certainly there was something damaged/short citrcuited in primary of PSU and plugging PSU to wall again likely made that short circuited part about vaporize itself.

As for not booting into Windows double check all cables are firmly attached.
Then clearing CMOS would be next thing.
Also if PC was older and you didn't use it while waiting for replacement PSU, weak BIOS battery have gone dead.

I'm guessing here something in the PSU or PC has failed causing a short circuit - overload protection isn't necessarily short circuit protection - often it monitors for a condition > max power draw < short circuit and can't always react quickly enough to a full short.

Back
Top Bottom