UPS review: Cyberpower VP1600EILCD

Soldato
A follow-on from this thread.

TLDR: great little UPS.

I had a bad experience with APC so decided to switch away from them. Cyberpower got recommended and so I purchased one to protect my PC (i7-8700 plus RTX 2080 Ti plus three monitors, plus bits). The front panel and the app said it would give me half an hour of non-gaming uptime. My first test (by pulling the plug to the UPS) didn't go so well: the PC lost the USB link so it couldn't tell the PC to shut down, and when I plugged the power back in and got the USB cable sorted the battery charge had dropped alarmingly. However I gave it a second test and it indeed gave me half an hour - well, it gave me 25 mins and then shut down the PC because the PC was set to shut down when there was 5 mins charge remaining. I monitored the remaining charge throughout and it seems that battery loss follows a curve with a higher initial loss then gradually lowering.

Associate
I have one running a mini pc (45w 10400t cpu) an older broadwell mini pc as pfsense, 2 switches, 2ap’s, 2 cctv cameras and the ONT with a cheap Poe to 9 or 12v converter.

Gives me around 50mins and it’s nice still having wifi/internet while the power is off for any reason.

tempted by one for my pc to, but not stretched to that yet.

One thing to note, generally with a UPS you get a clean shutdown from a power loss but power surge is more likely to trip it and cut all power output as well.

actually I got CP1500EPFCLCD

Soldato
OP
tempted by one for my pc to, but not stretched to that yet.

Go for it. You never know when there will be a sudden power outage / dip or a power spike. In the former case you have a decent time to finish and shut down; in the latter case the UPS should protect your PC.

Back
Top Bottom