Upstairs electrics not working

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Hi all,

So we have just moved into a new house and everything seemed to be working great. Brother in law found a switch labelled fuse in the master bedroom and switched it off (or on, doesn't remember what it was on). Everything connected to the mains turned off (lights ok though) and after resetting all the RCDs the upstairs electrics no longer work. When the upstairs switch is turned on the rcd turns everything off, so we can only keep electronics on if the upstairs is off. Is this just because the fuse has blown? Never noticed a switch like before in an upstairs room...

I'm sure this is a basic thing but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Soldato
Is it an isolator for an immersion heater?

A blown fuse isn't going to trigger a RCD.

Have you unplugged everything from the upstairs circuit? It could be one of your devices with a fault.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Should have mentioned earlier that there's nothing plugged in. At the time the fuse switch was pressed only a doorbell was plugged in, but that was working fine before. We also took it out and just to be sure we double checked there was nothing plugged in.

It's a combi boiler located downstairs.

Associate
Sound like he probably turned something on and that tripped the rcd, make sure that switch is off and see if the rcd will stay on?

Is it a fuse spur, could be for an outside light or something if on outside wall of bedroom, or for ensuite towel rad? but hard to guess without more info

Might end up needing an electrician to check and fix

Soldato
So you can switch on all of the circuits except the upstairs sockets without tripping the RCD?

Does the breaker for the upstairs sockets trip the RCD if all of the other breakers are off?

How the consumer unit configured? Split load with dual RCDs?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Here's a pic.

34q4ahf.jpg

There's nothing upstairs that I imagine would need that switch. We can't get a hold of the previous owner until tomorrow, and I agree that this is probably a job for the electrician once I can find one.

All the switches are off, and nothing plugged in (like I said, the few things we had plugged in before the 'switch incident' all worked fine and all of them were unplugged at the time of the incident except the doorbell.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
OP
Upstairs front room. Under a normal plug socket. I bet it's something really basic but hopefully will have a local electrician come round tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom