1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upto 140 OcUKers may have an MI5 file

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Loki, 10 Jul 2006.

1. Loki

Asus Rep

Interesting read on the Mail today Daily Mail Article

Is it really necessary for our intelligence service to have files on so many people ? Alternatively is too much made about civil liberties being infringed in the respect of the information held about us by Government ?

2. AJUK

Man of Honour

I expect I am on the list. ******* :mad:

3. FordPrefect

Mobster

I really dont see why anyone would be stressed about this at all. They keep the information, but I doubt that they are actively updating more than a tenth of those files.

4. Inquisitor

Capodecina

Exactly. Why should you be bothered about this? :confused:

5. Loki

Asus Rep

Conversely if you have done nothing wrong why should they hold a file about you in the first place ;)

6. SCM

Hitman

According to my ex her mum got onto a list like that during the miners strike due to her support of the miners. From what my ex said they had their phoned tapped and could tell due to the odd clicks etc not sure if true or not but wouldn't surprise me back then. They did take fun in taunting any listener and going we are going to bed now and actually hearing a distinct click.

SCM

7. FordPrefect

Mobster

It could be for various reasons such as being an aquantance of someone dodgy, ie a senior trade unionist or animal rights fanatic. That way when they need too they can build an accurate picture of who might be involved. Like I said, I doubt that more than a few thousand files of those are currently regarded as active, and even if you do rate a file it could just be because you know someone dodgy or were in the wrong place etc.

8. dirtydog

PermaBanned

So that's what those mysterious clicks are that I keep hearing on my phone :eek:

I better use a payphone when I talk about my secret plot to assassinate Blair from now on...

9. SCM

Hitman

I know was an interesting story for her to tell me but suppose in the 80's it could have happened to anyone connected to the miners strike and supporting it.

SCM

10. Gaygle

Capodecina

You've just got yourself a new file in the MI5 books. :p

11. Errol

Wise Guy

I would be really annoyed if MI5 had a huge, atomic BOMB like file on me. It would be a distinct intrusion and would almost constitute TERRORISM on an information scale. Is it their intention to KILL people with these data files, as if they were CHEMICAL WEAPONS ?

Totally stupid and it is the TERRORISTS and BOMB-MAKERS who should be being tracked not the innocent and people who are certainly not BIN LADEN, TERRORISTS, ANTHRAX salespeople, BOMB MAKERS, Hired KILLERS etc.

12. Gaygle

Capodecina

MI5's computers just exploded.... :p

13. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I wonder if MI5 do scan web forums for key words like that - probably.

14. Radiation

Mobster

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of traffic over the net gets scanned, the nsa got caught in the usa remember.

15. Errol

Wise Guy

You think they scan internet traffic for words like bomb, terror, anthrax, Bin Laden, Chemical device, explosives ?

Surely not.

16. afraser2k

Sgarrista

I thought that was what ECHELON was for?

Doesn't really surprise me though about the information the MI5 has, otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job.

17. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Are the intelligence services like MI5 supposed to be independent of the government, and serve the interests of the country? If so then they ought to have fat files on Blair and the other traitors in the government who have done so much harm to the UK and our security.

I wonder if these words will be added to my file...

18. Borris

Caporegime

This is precisely the reason that I conduct myself with discretion.

19. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I wonder if Echelon can be fooled with typos...

Bliar must dye

for example :o

20. Borris

Caporegime

How does Echelon work then?

The costs must be astronomical - First they have to capture the date, then they have to sort the data, then they have to min the data, then they have to interpret the data.

After that, they have to weed out the false positives and false negatives.

How do they discriminate between genuine and fake? How do they know that dirtydog's plot to assasinate Tony Blair is true, but my plot to nuke Alabama is false? By human intervention, each and every time?