uPVC door mechanism

Associate
Just wondering if any you folks had any experience with upvc door gearboxes. Mine failed at the weekend, it's a GU "old type" which seems to be discontinued but you can buy third party copies for under a tenner posted on Amazon. This seems almost too cheap to me so was wondering if anyone had ever used them or any door fitters had any problems with them etc.. Yale have a Doormaster range which has one that suits, but at over 4 times the price which I wasn't sure if it was similar but paying for a brand name.
I'm sort of reluctant to go cheap as when it failed at the weekend my door was locked shut but eventually got it open. It's working again but not as it should. Normally I'm all over a bargain but don't want to buy something which will pack in, in 6 months either. Reviews on Amazon are mostly positive with the odd poor one mixed in.

Associate
OP
`Gearbox??`
Do you mean the lock part?
If so i have replaced our back door with a lock from fleabay before,about 3 years ago,still working :)

Sorry, just seen you replied to me, thanks. Aye, apparently that's what they're called, I never realised that until I started looking. Door Gearbox. I got the one of Amazon for just under a tenner, straight swap and working grand. Good to know you haven't had any bother out of yours.

Back
Top Bottom