UPVc facias and soffit replacement cost

Associate
OP
All the quotes are pointless without detail.

you can get it cheap if they clad over the timber and use standard guttering.

if you want it done properly, timber stripped off, plastic added and seamless aluminium guttering then it starts to get pricey

Quotes are to remove all existing wood facias and soffits, replace with upvc, install new plastic guttering and dry verge on 3 apex’s. Full scaffold needed over the garage and a tower to be used over the conservatory.

So far first quote was £4.5k and second is £5k. Got a third company quoting us next week who are a Swish ‘approved’ installer so that will be interesting to see how much that prices up.

Got a local established roofer who lives opposite to me also so will approach them for a quote lasting if they do that kind of work.

Associate
Definitely get several quotes.

We had some right turnips turn up, akin to double glazing sales techniques in terms of price and sign up tactics.

Ended up going for a company offering seamless aluminium guttering. Actually worked out cheaper than what the sharks were quoting and it looks great.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Third quote in today, £5.5k.

So that's three quotes in so far, £4.5K from a company my mum used to do her's, £5k from a company we have used in the past to do our conservatory and are doing a new front door for us and £5.5k from a Swish 'approved' fitter.

Last company said they would fit aluminium guttering which looked quite good but quite a bit more expensive.

Associate
OP
Does anyone here know anything about upvc? Basically got a choice between 16mm Freefoam upvc boards or 25mm Swish (which is more expensive by about £500).

Just wondering if it’s best to go with the thicker boards?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Did mine myself, along with my dad, for a 4 bed 3 story victorian house. The materials and scaffolding alone cost £800. Mine was all rotten, so the rot was cut out and we used the thicker plastic,it was all middle of the road stuff. Its not a difficult job to do, im struggling to see how you could do it wrong.

Associate
OP
Just waiting for a local firm to give me a quote now, they are long established in the area and another family run business that don’t use subbies.

They also use 18mm Eurocell upvc which seems to be a good standard.

Associate
OP
Update, local firm who have a good reputation in the area came back with a quote of £7200 for facia and soffits.

Last time I checked I don’t live in a ******* mansion! I don’t know why i’m being quoted these stupid prices.

Quotes i’ve had are 4.5k, 5k, 5.5k and 7.2k.

4.5k and 5k use Freefoam upvc, 5.5k 25mm thick swish and 7.2k was 18mm eurocell.

Calling swish today to see if there are any other local fitters in my area to get a couple more quotes.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
With all work on your house, you can work out the price before you even get anyone to take a look. Produce a bill of materials from your preferred supplier, add scaffolding costs (Probably estimate £800 for both sides @ 10m length per side of an average house, this is generous, the competitive rate in Oxon is £20/linear metre for 1 deck, so would actually be £400), and then add in some labour at the usual day rate for a general builder. In Oxfordshire this is around £250/day and i would expect this job done within 2 days for 2 men, 4 man days.

The price therefore, here at least, would be around £1000 labour (generous £500/day split between two), £800 scaff (generous as mentioned above), and without pricing it up accurately although having done lots of this, i'd guess £500-600 in materials by the time you have replaced inevitable guttering, bought the little white headed nails, end caps, etc etc. Its a £2300-£2500 job for a house needing 2 runs doing at ~10m per run in plastic.

Soldato
I got quoted £1200 for approx 10m of guttering. Bought the materials from Toolstation and all sundries for approx £200 all in, including ladder hire. It's not the thickest guttering in the world but I sure ain't paying a roofer £1000 for two days work.

Soldato
OK, looking at getting this done now.

Ours is a decent size 4 bed detached, and it's an awkward one and going to need scaffolding.

Weve been quoted £7300 to do fascias, barge boards, soffits, guttering and all the bits round our fancy stick out windows etc.

This sounds rather a lot to me?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Thats far, far too much. Work it through using the numbers in my last reply and adjust to the runs which you need. Obviously adjust BOM pricing depending on whether you need more expensive cast iron or other material guttering, etc.

Associate
I re-did the fascias on my house myself using the PVC covering stuff. Basically it wraps round the old wood and you wouldn't know the old wood was there. I did spend some time cleaning off the flaking paint and using rot proofer and filler on the original wood prior to putting the new stuff up. Pretty simple job to cut it to size and nail it on. I think it was about £200 including new gutters and took me and my dad about a day to do.
I couldn't see the point in taking off the old wood boards as although they were a little untidy in places, they were structurally sound.

Soldato
The company we hired at our old house did this and it was fine for a quick cheap fix, looked good. Cost about £1500. But our current house, we plan to be at until retirement, so we didn't want any rotting wood underneath. We specifically wanted quotes for stripping off all the old stuff first, right back to the rafters. You can see from the vents it's loaded with bird nests and crap. It all needs to come down.

Soldato
Best approach is speak to your local upvc suppliers. The moment you are happy to do this you have won the battle.

There are usually a couple of independents locally who supply the trade.

They will know tradesmen who happily work on a labour only rate if you pay for materials yourself and upfront. Anything from £150-£300 per day per man plus %10—%20 tip offered on job well done by end of day 2.

Material cost will be £900-£1800 delivered based on what you have said so far and what you want to spec. You won't always get trade discount but it doesn't take much to improve the price especially if settling upfront.

Scaffolding hire c£400-£800.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Best approach is speak to your local upvc suppliers. The moment you are happy to do this you have won the battle.

There are usually a couple of independents locally who supply the trade.

They will know tradesmen who happily work on a labour only rate if you pay for materials yourself and upfront. Anything from £150-£300 per day per man plus %10—%20 tip offered on job well done by end of day 2.

Material cost will be £900-£1800 delivered based on what you have said so far and what you want to spec. You won't always get trade discount but it doesn't take much to improve the price especially if settling upfront.

Scaffolding hire c£400-£800.
Indeed, Ivan please go down this route as per this post and mine above where I broke down the cost. This is not a £5000 job. :)

Associate
OP
Went for the cheapest quote in the end. His price worked out about average for the work done. For a 3-bed detached you would be looking to spend £3k all in and we have a single garage also so that pushed the price to £4.5k.

They used Freefoam plastic with dry verge on the 3 gable ends and all looks good. They didn't use scaffold either, just two big ladders with a third put in the middle. Guess this is how they cut down the costs.

Associate
OP
OK, looking at getting this done now.

Ours is a decent size 4 bed detached, and it's an awkward one and going to need scaffolding.

Weve been quoted £7300 to do fascias, barge boards, soffits, guttering and all the bits round our fancy stick out windows etc.

This sounds rather a lot to me?

Don't let anyone tell you it can be done cheaply, either by doing it yourself or by getting someone you meet in a builders yard.

Ours cost £4.5k for a three bed detached with garage so you should budget for about £5k to £5.5k.

Back
Top Bottom