1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT HELP WITHUNSTABLE PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aikon359, 17 Jun 2006.

1. Aikon359

Wise Guy

hey all, recently built a pc for my partner and having some wierd problems, this is the list of items i bought.

GIGABYTE ga-k8nmf-9
    amd athlon64 3000+ *venice core*
    2x 512mb dual channel pc3200 ddr ram
    ati 256mb x800gto16 pcie gfx
    stock amd cooler
    the motherboard itself
    2x generic hdd
    cdrw drive
    generic gaming atx case with 350watt psu

now after it was built, everything seemed fine, i benchmarked it to death, ran 3dmark, ati tech demos, etc and ran amazing!

the day after apparently after about 2 hours of use it began to bsod, restarting fixed this but it then became more and more frequent, untill it was every 5 mins or so,

guessing this is just generic instability but not sure whats the cause, tried different ram and thats not it,

**THE ONLY THING IVE NOTICED IS THAT THE ATX POWER SUPPLY I HAVE IS 20 PINS AND THE MOBO IS A 24PIN POWER SUPPLY, I HAVE THE EXTRA 12V CABLE PLUGGED IN BUT WITH THE POWER SUPPLY PLUGGED IN THERE IS 4 LIL HOLES LEFT OVER ON THE MAIN POWER SUPPLY SOCKET. I WAS TOLD BY A COUPLE OF PEOPLE THAT THIS SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM BUT NOT SURE**

ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

2. SiriusB

Capodecina

The lack of those 4 pins *shouldnt* be an issue as others have said.

I think the first thing is to have a look in your Event Viewer the next time your PC BSODS.

Control Panel >> Admin Tools >> Event Viewer

Look under System and Application for any warnings or errors. If you find any post them here.

If nothing is in your Event Viewer you might want to test the hardware individually in another rig known to be working. If there is a hardware fault it should show up on the other rig too.

Assuming the worst and this does not work all i can think of is to do a fresh Windows install and see if this problem goes away.

SiriusB

3. weescott

Sgarrista

Hi, I have the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 and had similar problems. I found it to be the ram that was the problem (Kingston Hyper X). Some one else on these forums had the same problem with Hyper X ram and IIRC your mobo. If you can I would try another brand of ram. You are right that the PSU shouldn't cause problems but at least one manufacturer I know of does not recommend ATX 1.1 on ATX 2.0 mobo's. I was running an ATX 1.1 PSU with a 20 to 24 pin converter. it made no difference.

4. Aikon359

Wise Guy

thanks all so far, as for the ram, as said, i did try taking one stick out, swapping stock over etc, and dosent seem to solve things, as for another rig, i dont have any other comparable hardware to use to test it *only got my lappy and my big rig is still long on its way*

the extra 4 pins on the psu, are they used just to supply extra juice for system stability?,

and as for the event viewer ill try that in a bit and post the results on here,

5. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

Have you run memtest? The extra 4 pins are for the pcie card if it doesnt have external power afaik

6. Aikon359

Wise Guy

hmm!, well the x800 gto16 i have doesnt have its onwn power connector, so maybee thats it?

7. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

It could be the problem especially as you're using a rubbish psu, have you got a decent on that you can use to test it with?

8. Gashman

Mobster

think mikey is right, think were talking about a better PSU, 350 watt generic PSU isn't a good sign, i mean 350 watt tagan or hiper, etc wouldn't have a problem with that cause there very stable.

9. t31os

Mobster

I've built a system with that card, the box says it requires at least a 400W PSU.

I put it in a system with a Enermax 400W, saying that though, the Enermax handled a x1800xt to.

10. Jay_t

Hitman

You MUST allow for a decent PSU & set of ram when budgeting for a pc, especially the PSU. You wouldn't build a performance car with a 1 litre engine, a pc is no different. Generic 350 watt PSU's are usually about 250 watts and the power fluctuates wildly. I'd be suprised if this problem was caused by anything else.

11. Aikon359

Wise Guy

well prepare to be surprised cos it isnt the psu ;-(

went out and got a jeantec 550watt atx2.0 psu, installed it and its still doing the same thing ;-(

ive written down the error that pops up ill type it out in the next post

12. Aikon359

Wise Guy

ok heres the bsod report:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then the usual mumpf followed by:

*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X9126FA77, 0X00000002, 0X00000008, 10X9126FA77)

BEGINING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

*i also did what someone else said and went in to administrative toold, event viewer and error log and nothing turns up in the log at the times this happens, *

so any new ideas at all???

13. Aikon359

Wise Guy

nobody have any ideas at all? ;-(

14. kmistry

Wise Guy

googling the issue seems to say it might be a driver issue (no duh look at the error :p ) so you could try updating all drivers, or trying a fresh install?

EDIT: you could also try flashing the BIOS to see if that changes anything, a fresh install should be a last resort, what you could do is try and remove all expansion cards and plug them in one by one to try and eliminate that error....

Last edited: 20 Jun 2006