Urgent issue windows 7 install

Associate
Hi all. I recently upgraded my mobo ram and cpu. Since then I haven't been able to boot windows. It just goes into a loop. I can't even get it in safe mode. As a work around I was willing to install a fresh Windows. It gets to the first screen where you select region and keyboard style etc but I can't move mouse drop down or anything it just hangs on that screen. Tried multiple disks now. If I put a fresh hard drive in wiped could I expect it to install no problems or am I likely to expect the hanging to persist?

Caporegime
It's not hanging, it's because there's no USB drivers for your board in Windows 7, you need to use a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse.

Or you could install Windows 10 and use the key from your 7 install, if you've upgraded to 6th generation or higher intel, or Ryzen, you won't be able to get any windows updates anyway and it will constantly bug you about it being unsupported hardware.

Associate
Does the keyboard work?

If so the ol tab key should get you through the install.

I had trouble with the USB3 ports when trying to install windows, have you tried using the USB2 ports.

What Motherboard is it?

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
You can get PS2 to USB adapters provided you have PS2 devices lying around. Can you navigate using keyboard? Tab to shift between the options and space to select.

You can also inject the chipset drivers into the iso using DISM. Plenty of guides online for how to do it.

maj

maj

Soldato
If keyboard way doesn't work, and you're set on Windows 7, then you'll have to bundle the driver in with the install media. Does keyboard and mouse work in BIOS? Check the options in there to see if something needs enabled since it's a new mobo.

Soldato
I had the same issue when I upgraded to a Ryzen 2600 and Strix X470 motherboard. I had no PS/2 keyboard so tried to slipstream USB3 drivers into the Windows 7 installation.

I couldn't get it to work but the board had a USB 2.0 header. This is apparently an emulated port so it also didn't work. I ended up (reluctantly) installing Windows 8.1.

Soldato
windows 8 might work, so slipstream drivers or try win8.

I can understand the lack of wanting to use win10, I dont use it myself on my main pc or work laptop.

Slipstreaming isnt that hard.

Also I run win 8.1 (with updates) on a 8600k. It is possible on win7 also. Even tho microsoft dont support both OS for latest gen hardware.

Soldato
I used the ASUS EZ Installer app to Install Windows 7 onto an MSI X470 motherboard, tried the MSI tool & Gigabyte tool, the ASUS one was the only one that worked, does all the hard work for you of slipping in the USB and nvme drivers, doesn't matter if you have an ASUS motherboard or not, all its doing is slipping in the USB3 drivers for you which is what you are missing and why you cant move your mouse or use your keyboard in the Windows 7 installer.

You can get the tool from here: https://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/EZ Installer/HelpDesk_Download/

You will also need your Windows 7 installation media, a working PC or laptop and a USB stick 8gb or more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom