US Open 2020 Live now Tennis

Permabanned
OP
Soldato
No choice but to default.

Intent is irrelevant. If you hit a ball in anger/frustration outside of play and it belts someone in the throat you will be defaulted.

Caporegime
What's missing - the word "intentionally". Here:

"A tennis player can get disqualified if he or she receives three code violations or a direct disqualification if they physically abuse someone &&&&&&&. These violations can be for verbal abuse, racket abuse, unsportsmanlike conduct, and so on."
The others weren’t intentional either.

Associate
Without even looking at that link. Tim Henman got DQd for the same thing donkeys years ago at Wimbledon.

I remember Nalbandian Vs Cilic, maybe at Queen's Club? He kicked an advertising board and it cut an official's shin.

Stupid stuff from Djokovic, he was pretty much a dead cert to reach the final and heavy favourite once there. There'll have a first new grand slam champion after 6 years! It's incredible that no one under the age of 30 has won a slam until now (aren't all the remaining players under that age?).

Permabanned
OP
The others weren’t intentional either.

Nalbandian's case was intentional, Rodionova's case with three hit balls was obviously intentional.

I will keep my view that it could have been interpreted in another direction -
that Djokovic didn't see her, or that he expected that there would be someone else to catch the flying ball for a next service game.

Caporegime
Nalbandian's case was intentional, Rodionova's case with three hit balls was obviously intentional.

I will keep my view that it could have been interpreted in another direction -
that Djokovic didn't see her, or that he expected that there would be someone else to catch the flying ball for a next service game.
Well you can think what you like, but I don’t think anyone, including the pundits and experts, agree with you.

Permabanned
OP
Well you can think what you like, but I don’t think anyone, including the pundits and experts, agree with you.

Well, Mats said very bad luck. How can anyone be thrown out of a tournament because of bad luck?
Bad luck needs interpretations not blind cliche following of controversial rules.

Associate
It's like in football - will you get a red card if you hit a player in front of you standing in a wall against a free kick?!

Totally different scenario, the ball in that instance is in play. Lines people and ball kids get hit fairly often during a point and players are never penalised for it, this was struck in anger. Obviously it wasn't intentional and I'm sure Djokovic is mortified (and not just because he was defaulted) but there's only going to be one outcome. If you're going to get angry smash your racquet, or better yet do a Youzhny and smash your head!

Permabanned
OP
Totally different scenario, the ball in that instance is in play. Lines people and ball kids get hit fairly often during a point and players are never penalised for it, this was struck in anger. Obviously it wasn't intentional and I'm sure Djokovic is mortified (and not just because he was defaulted) but there's only going to be one outcome. If you're going to get angry smash your racquet, or better yet do a Youzhny and smash your head!

So what that it's in play?! It can hit a player and murder them, and the justification will be "but it was in play". It simply doesn't sound right.

The truth is that the line judges in tennis have no place on the court. They are static, passive and never even try to support the players.
Especially when there is a system called "Hawk Eye" which fixes their wrong calls.

Caporegime
So what that it's in play?! It can hit a player and murder them, and the justification will be "but it was in play". It simply doesn't sound right.

The truth is that the line judges in tennis have no place on the court. They are static, passive and never even try to support the players.
Especially when there is a system called "Hawk Eye" which fixes their wrong calls.
Your replies are getting more ridiculous with each post :D

Permabanned
OP

Actually, almost everyone agrees with me. Please read more in the comments sections of the following videos:

The ball bounced back as if it hit a wall, not her soft tissues.

Someone even said that it didn't hit her and she played the scene like a Hollywood actress.

No Facebook post from Djokovic yet.

I think the case should be investigated and the guilty officials - punished.

Caporegime
It was done in anger just after he had lost his serve. Your defense of him is nearly as embarrassing as his reaction.

Edit: Just read he refused to apologise and left the stadium without attending the press conference. What a wonderful example to have leading the new tennis association.

Soldato
Now I've never been a fan of Djokovic but that line official has milked that for all its worth; ensue the lawsuit that will follow with it being in the states...

But I guess the rules are the rules

Back
Top Bottom