US Open 2020 Live now Tennis

Associate
So what that it's in play?! It can hit a player and murder them, and the justification will be "but it was in play". It simply doesn't sound right.

The truth is that the line judges in tennis have no place on the court. They are static, passive and never even try to support the players.
Especially when there is a system called "Hawk Eye" which fixes their wrong calls.

Hahaha, right, ok. If you can't see the distinction between striking a ball in anger and open play then this discussion is futile.

Looking forward to Thiem vs Auger Aliassime, I think Thiem's experience will show but here's hoping for a good match.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Now I've never been a fan of Djokovic but that line official has milked that for all its worth; ensue the lawsuit that will follow with it being in the states...

That's my view, players hit the ball to ball boys/girls all of the time I think that's what he was doing and misjudged who he was hitting it to, if it was done in anger like people claim then he didn't really hit it very hard. The lines judges regularly get hit by 100mph serves and don't react half as much as she did, if it hit a sensitive spot in her throat and she was genuinely winded then fair enough but I still think defaulting him is an overreaction.

Associate
Actually, almost everyone agrees with me. Please read more in the comments sections of the following videos:

The ball bounced back as if it hit a wall, not her soft tissues.

Someone even said that it didn't hit her and she played the scene like a Hollywood actress.

I think the case should be investigated and the guilty officials - punished.

Idiots in youtube comments shocker. Djokovic himself clearly thinks it hit her as you can see from his reaction.

What should the officials be punished for? Following a precedent set over several such incidents? The players know what will happen if they accidentally hit someone with a ball/racket. Djokovic in particular has had a lot of near misses throughout his career. This was bound to happen eventually.

Virtually everyone that knows anything about tennis and isn't just a casual slam only viewer agrees with the default.

Now I've never been a fan of Djokovic but that line official has milked that for all its worth; ensue the lawsuit that will follow with it being in the states...

But I guess the rules are the rules

Try getting hit in the throat by a tennis ball, even one hit relatively softly. It's not pleasant.

That's my view, players hit the ball to ball boys/girls all of the time I think that's what he was doing and misjudged who he was hitting it to, if it was done in anger like people claim then he didn't really hit it very hard. The lines judges regularly get hit by 100mph serves and don't react half as much as she did, if it hit a sensitive spot in her throat and she was genuinely winded then fair enough but I still think defaulting him is an overreaction.

A default for incidents like this is the precedent. Not defaulting him would've been breaking that well established precedent.

Caporegime
Djokovic has been fined 10k so far with a further punishment expected for skipping his media commitments.

Looking forward to Thiem vs Auger Aliassime, I think Thiem's experience will show but here's hoping for a good match.
Me too. Was massively impressed with AA when he beat Murray but Thiem's a big step up and he finally looks like the player everyone thought he would become when he was a junior.

Says even more about the big three when Thiem at 27 and in his prime is only considered a favourite when they're not playing.

Edit: Jesus Christ, Serena in an empty stadium is unbearable to watch. Don't they have noise pollution laws?

Last edited:
Associate
Says even more about the big three when Thiem at 27 and in his prime is only considered a favourite when they're not playing.

Very much so! He's easily have at least one slam by now we're it not for them, came pretty close in Australia this year.

Excellent first set, Thiem is such a big hitter, the way he's managed to reign in his power and reduce the unforced errors is impressive. AA acquitted himself well in that first set, just can't let his head drop. A big task now though, Thiem has the advantage in experience.

Caporegime
6-1 in the second wasn't a fair reflection of how well AA played, most of the games went to deuce, but Thiem's running away with it now and is completely outgunning AA.

Edit: 6-1 in the third and GSM. Second set was closer than the score suggested but the third was a beating.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't know that men and women play with different balls.

Apparently, brought about in 2004, the designs are to slow the men's game down and speed the women's game up.

Don't know why that bit of information has escaped me until now.

Soldato
It's the first I've heard of it, interesting. I guess it's to increase the number/length of rallies?

I can understand there might be different balls for the different surfaces, but I don't agree that they should be using different balls for men and women.

Article about Andy Murray getting annoyed at being given a women's ball during a match... https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/tennis/article69350302.html

But maybe that's a can of worms I don't want to open any further :p

Another bit of info I didn't know was that tennis shoes can have skid plates on the sole that allow players to slide on hard courts (https://www.wilson.com/en-us/explore/tennis/glide).

I've often wondered how players managed to slide on the hard courts, thinking it was a dangerous/risky thing for them to do, but apparently not.

Caporegime
Murray beat him a few weeks ago with very few matches under his belt, this is a complete choke. Wonder if his previous losses in finals has got the better of him tonight.

Edit: He's come alive since going down a break in the 3rd, pressure must've been completely off him at that point but he's back in it now.

Edit: Quality of tennis improved massively towards the end of the match but they both choked repeatedly on serve. Big three would've ruined them tonight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom