US police thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Yup, its been shown that people only skim the headlines and the images these days which is why you see places like the DM headline their articles as they are even when you actually read the whole article it can sometimes bear little resemblance to the content.

The headline image on the BBC article is the first thing you see and process. In the case of this incident its incredibly prejudicial and sets a narrative for the majority that don't actually read the whole thing. You really do have to make a point of reading the whole article from top to bottom, sometimes going further by looking and the right and left opioning and the original source material.

I don't think the BBC can be held responsible for people with the attention span of a gnat.

Soldato
Someone like @b0rn2sk8 goes past he takes your word for it because it sounds right in his mind.

Erm... would you like to retract that?

I specifically set out two things in my post, one being a general point about why headlines and images are carefully selected - to get clicks. The issue is most people don’t read past the first line.

The second about the specific image used as the headline (e.g. the first thing you see) in the BBC article (NOT the headline words). It’s prejudicial, it represents something which without some serious context sets a specific narrative to anyone that doesn’t read the whole article. That context IS set out in the article but the issue is that people just don’t read it so they get the completely wrong impression of what actually happened.

I don't think the BBC can be held responsible for people with the attention span of a gnat.

Well they could have used an image that didn’t need a video and 3 paragraphs to explain why the impression the image gives you going into the article is wrong. So yes, they could have used a different image that wasn’t so emotionally charged in the wider contact of what is going on.

Soldato
He was holding a gun and there was gunshot residue on his hand. He was involved.

Go on, walk it all the way back.

The BBC didn't twist the story by not writing about Adam shooting at people because such a thing was never seen.

Adam for ???? reasons was given the gun by Roman who was the man recorded firing the shots which the police responded to. Since the police turned up less than 1 minute after the shots were fired this was rather unfortunate for Adam.

That's all there is.

Erm... would you like to retract that?

I specifically set out two things in my post, one being a general point about why headlines and images are carefully selected - to get clicks. The issue is most people don’t read past the first line.

The second about the specific image used as the headline (e.g. the first thing you see) in the BBC article (NOT the headline words). It’s prejudicial, it represents something which without some serious context sets a specific narrative to anyone that doesn’t read the whole article. That context IS set out in the article but the issue is that people just don’t read it so they get the completely wrong impression of what actually happened.

No I wouldn't. You played off his post which was half false and half subjective.

Why would you want to be associated with a misleading post about misleading articles if you're firmly against such things.

Soldato
No I wouldn't. You played off his post which was half false and half subjective.

Why would you want to be associated with a misleading post about misleading articles if you're firmly against such things.

Go on, tell me what I posted was incorrect?

At the end of they day you made it personal by posting passive aggressive comments about me instead of the substance of what I actually wrote.

At best all you can call me up on is quoting that post and saying ‘yup’ because my post wasn’t actually specifically agreeing with the quoted post but you can only do that if you ignore everything I posted after it.

Which again for the benefit of doubt was a general point about why images and headlines are selected (clicks) and a specific criticism of the image chosen for that particular article.

Soldato
Go on, tell me what I posted was incorrect?

At the end of they day you made it personal by posting passive aggressive comments about me instead of the substance of what I actually wrote.

At best all you can call me up on is quoting that post and saying ‘yup’ because my post wasn’t actually specifically agreeing with the quoted post but you can only do that if you ignore everything I posted after it.

Which again for the benefit of doubt was a general point about why images and headlines are selected (clicks) and a specific criticism of the image chosen for that particular article.

I mentioned you because you felt Angelions post about misleading was solid enough to quote and carry on from. Yet half of it is a lie and you didn't notice the misinformation.

Haven't said a word about your content or blamed you for any of that.

Soldato
Bigger government? Less freedoms? Doesn't sound very American.

WHAT?

You do know it's the Governor of each state that sets the rules.....

In FL the new law will be one can't defund the police, If you assault a police officer during a protest\riot, you have a mandatory jail sentence of at least six months.

Soldato
Re: the last 2 posts - perhaps more of these need to be made more widely public to show the other side of what USA cops deal with daily so that people understand why they act in a certain way.

So far the narrative is all one sided showing cops being heavy handed.

Soldato
It's quite simple really. The police are heavy handed because a large part of the population are armed. The majority think this is a good idea which it clearly isn't. Until that changes, there is no answer to reducing these sorts of incidents.

Man of Honour
Re: the last 2 posts - perhaps more of these need to be made more widely public to show the other side of what USA cops deal with daily so that people understand why they act in a certain way.

So far the narrative is all one sided showing cops being heavy handed.

US reality cop shows have existed for far longer than the current 'heavy handed narrative' being pushed, shows like Cops have been doing this for decades.

And that's before you go into the whole copaganda argument.

Soldato
It's quite simple really. The police are heavy handed because a large part of the population are armed. The majority think this is a good idea which it clearly isn't. Until that changes, there is no answer to reducing these sorts of incidents.

Removing fire arms from the US population would takes decades of regulation, it would have be spread out in such a way that there a gradual decrease in weapons occurs, any attempt to reduce them on a large scale quickly would result in major issues.

On top of that adequate police training is an absolute must, 2 hours a year just doesn't cut it, give them an hour a week of CQC training and you'll find the number of violent arrests drop dramatically.

Caporegime
What's almost certainly going to happen in the future at some point is the advent of bio-metric locking mechanisms and other ID systems enforced into the operation of firearms. It won't really work very well, but it will likely provide that level of frustration that people just don't bother with it.

Of course criminals won't care, but there'd be money to make for corrupt politicians with big lobbying bucks from arms manufacturers trying to stop it (+black market bucks for the extra corrupt) and authoritarian justifications for more well-armed police as well as far more surveillance, so there's plenty of appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom