US police thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can someone explain how you forget you left from right? I know I'm left handed, she knew the gun was on her dominant side and the taser on the non dominant side. She still grabbed the gun, the gun will have weighted a lot more than the taser and probably felt very different, the gun will have a safety catch which she must have flicked off. I get it was stressful but that is the job, if in just a situation where someone is trying to run away from you, (something I'm sure happens all the time) you can't keep it together enough to know which side your gun is on and at no point realise you are holding your gun until after you discharge it you should never be doing the job. Just fire her already. Poorly trained and clearly not capable of doing the job.

Associate
Can someone explain how you forget you left from right? I know I'm left handed, she knew the gun was on her dominant side and the taser on the non dominant side. She still grabbed the gun, the gun will have weighted a lot more than the taser and probably felt very different, the gun will have a safety catch which she must have flicked off. I get it was stressful but that is the job, if in just a situation where someone is trying to run away from you, (something I'm sure happens all the time) you can't keep it together enough to know which side your gun is on and at no point realise you are holding your gun until after you discharge it you should never be doing the job. Just fire her already. Poorly trained and clearly not capable of doing the job.

Humans make mistakes shocker, including those in positions of authority. Or maybe it wasn't a mistake and her surname was Dredd I dunno. You could train them till the cows came home and I still don't think you would eliminate this type of event occuring.

Soldato
Humans make mistakes shocker, including those in positions of authority. Or maybe it wasn't a mistake and her surname was Dredd I dunno. You could train them till the cows came home and I still don't think you would eliminate this type of event occuring.

If you did that on a firearms team in the UK you'd never handle a weapon again. That isn't a simple mistake and if you can't handle the kind of pressure they are likely to see on a regular basis you shouldn't be doing the job. She is either criminally inept or a murderer who knew what she was doing. Neither is good.

Soldato
I watched the body cam video of the police shooting of Daunte Wright, to me the whole thing was just bloody stupid, incompetent and unfortunate.

I mean, it's just stupid - there's not much more to say, I don't think she intended to kill him - I genuinely think she went for her taser, but due to incompetence, heat of the moment combined with an ingrained 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality.. We ended up with another killing.

Timing couldn't be worse, location couldn't be worse.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If you did that on a firearms team in the UK you'd never handle a weapon again. That isn't a simple mistake and if you can't handle the kind of pressure they are likely to see on a regular basis you shouldn't be doing the job. She is either criminally inept or a murderer who knew what she was doing. Neither is good.

The UK and US are very different places. If you have a gun in the UK as a firearms officer you are trained to do only that. You are not called to random domestics with your firearms. You are not doing random traffic stops with your firearm.

The pressure and danger of being a cop is the US must be huge compared to the UK. I tried to find statistics to compare the US and UK but there don't seem to be any good stats for the UK.

Last year 45 cops were killed by guns in the US, I wonder how many were shot or wounded. On a side note, 15 died from illness related to 9/11 even this long after the event.

Soldato

She does need to get a desk job now.

But you saying "Just fire her already. Poorly trained and clearly not capable of doing the job"

Do you know how many forces people are killed by friendly fire? 1000s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_friendly_fire_incidents#Iraq_War_(2003–2011)

Caporegime
Tasers are often produced in bright colors, or with neon accents, to distinguish them from pistols. The Brooklyn Center Police Department manual cites the Glock 17, 19 and 26 as standard-issue for the department. All three pistol models weigh significantly more than a typical Taser.
Glocks also have a trigger safety that can be felt when touching the trigger. Tasers do not.
Grips on Tasers are typically different from those of firearms, as well, though they may feel similar because both are usually made of a similar type of polymer.

https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphi...905d571739d02/handgun-taser-desktop-large.jpg

NO HOTLINKING!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/13/us/daunte-wright-taser-gun.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Tasers are often produced in bright colors, or with neon accents, to distinguish them from pistols. The Brooklyn Center Police Department manual cites the Glock 17, 19 and 26 as standard-issue for the department. All three pistol models weigh significantly more than a typical Taser.

More facepalm, I was gonna say - aren't tasers normally brightly coloured and different in many ways? .....

This is almost as bad, or maybe as bad - as the cop who went into someone elses apartment - shot the person inside (who was sat eating ice cream....) before realising she'd gone into the wrong apartment..

Soldato
All these armchair IT wizards saying “omfg how do you mistake a gun for a taser, incompetent idiots!?“ need to just pipe down. The hardest decision they have to make every day is whether to have soy or almond milk with their coffee.

Caporegime
All these armchair IT wizards saying “omfg how do you mistake a gun for a taser, incompetent idiots!?“ need to just pipe down. The hardest decision they have to make every day is whether to have soy or almond milk with their coffee.

Ok, we'll just be quiet about a police officer with 26 years experience mistaking a taser on the left side of her body with no safety, for a gun on the right side of her body with a safety.

Mason- has spoken, just an accident - put her back on the beat.

Soldato

Well, I think if this was just one isolated incident - a freak occurrence if you will, then ok... But it isn't is it? Taken in context, this sort of thing just keeps happening, over and over again. Saying "unqualified people should just shut up" makes you come across as an apologist for incompetence and stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom