USA wants your social media history.

Soldato
Mmmmmmm, just about the best and most thorough way for the American Administration to kill the American tourist industry. To expect a tourist that might be going to Florida for a couple of weeks to hand over that amount of data is fanciful at best. They will just choose another country to holiday in.

Caporegime
Mmmmmmm, just about the best and most thorough way for the American Administration to kill the American tourist industry. To expect a tourist that might be going to Florida for a couple of weeks to hand over that amount of data is fanciful at best. They will just choose another country to holiday in.

No they wont. Very few people really care, or even comprehend what you Perceive as a threat.
Yes this is a Tech forum so its going to misrepresent caring, a hell of a lot.

Soldato
Surely you can just tell them you don't use social media (true in my case)?

How would they know otherwise? They wouldn't be asking for it if they could find out on their own.

Soldato
No they wont. Very few people really care, or even comprehend what you Perceive as a threat.
Yes this is a Tech forum so its going to misrepresent caring, a hell of a lot.

Did i say I perceive it as threat ? No, i didn't. Because it's not a threat to us in the UK, we are exempt.
Peeps that might want to holiday in USA that are not exempt may well take a different view. Your average man/woman in China for instance, like most of us, probably can't even remember the passwords to all the sites they belong to. Rather than spending hours trawling through sites to find passwords to put on a visa application, they are more likely to say "Stuff it, we'll go to Europe this year". This affects 14million, that's one hell of a lot of tourists that won't be spending money in the USA.

Permabanned
If you say you don’t use social media what they going to do search for you?

Really not sure this will do anything. Why don’t they just close all social media sites down and have done with it. It was much safer with MSN chat rooms for crying out loud.

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure they don't need to access UK accounts because they can already just check all our data fr3ely.

It's more for picking up middle Eastern and African people that like and share Isis crap so they can decline them on those grounds and still hold face.

Soldato
Tbh the only social media I used was facebook and I got rid of that a few weeks ago.

I can see though in future that not having them could make you seem suspicious, hell even today you get questioned about it. Friend of ours was stopped by the police and didn't have any ID on him so they wanted to see his facebook profile, he doesn't have one as he's just not into it and they wouldn't believe it due to him having a smartphone.

Considering his age I would have thought it was easily believable that he wouldn't use it but he took a bit of a grilling over it. I'd imagine anyone applying for a visa who says they don't use them will have their applications thoroughly looked in to.

Caporegime
Tbh the only social media I used was facebook and I got rid of that a few weeks ago.

I can see though in future that not having them could make you seem suspicious, hell even today you get questioned about it. Friend of ours was stopped by the police and didn't have any ID on him so they wanted to see his facebook profile, he doesn't have one as he's just not into it and they wouldn't believe it due to him having a smartphone.

Considering his age I would have thought it was easily believable that he wouldn't use it but he took a bit of a grilling over it. I'd imagine anyone applying for a visa who says they don't use them will have their applications thoroughly looked in to.

Not to be rude your friends a bit thick, why wouldn't he carry ID? assuming he was on holiday for a start why wouldn't you? If you loved there anyway you're even more daft

Associate
I have nothing to hide which I imagine is true for 99% of the population.
The birth of fascism right there.

I don't even have a social media account of any kind, I'm not daft enough to put my personal life on the internet.
Guess that means I'm not allowed a holiday in the states, no big loss there ;)

Soldato
Not to be rude your friends a bit thick, why wouldn't he carry ID? assuming he was on holiday for a start why wouldn't you? If you loved there anyway you're even more daft

It was in this country, he was on his own and just happened to not have his wallet on him, not that strange. Was all a misunderstanding in the end but being judged for not using social media is already happening.

Back
Top Bottom