USB c adapter to external display ?

Soldato
Hi,

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro so with only USB C ports. Want to connect it to my Dell 34'' widescreen monitor which is a few years old so doesn't have USB C. Just the standard HDMI / display ports.

Wondered what you guys would recommend ? I did buy a cheapish Dell dongle but the graphics after a few minutes would become corrupted.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi,

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro so with only USB C ports. Want to connect it to my Dell 34'' widescreen monitor which is a few years old so doesn't have USB C. Just the standard HDMI / display ports.

Wondered what you guys would recommend ? I did buy a cheapish Dell dongle but the graphics after a few minutes would become corrupted.

I have the official Apple USB-C to HDMI/USB one and it works OK though I have noticed the occasional graphics glitch when I have devices connected over USB-A at the same time. One thing to bear in mind is that IME most of those USB-C hubs only support HDMI 1.4 so will only run 1440p/4K monitors at 30Hz. In fact my 34" ultrawide monitor's HDMI connector is only v1.4 so the only way I can get a native 1440p/60Hz is using the displayport input.You might have the same problem if your monitor is older so I'd check to see what version it's HDMI port is.

I would recommend looking into getting a USB-c/Thunderbolt to displayport/HDMI cable and avoiding the hubs. Make sure it specifically says that it supports 4K and 60Hz though to get the best from your monitor.

In fact one potential fix for the corrupted/glitched graphics issue you mentioned might be to go into the Mac display settings and manually set the video output to 30Hz. I noticed on mine it sometimes defaults to trying 50/60Hz which may not work reliably depending on your monitor.

Back
Top Bottom