USB Hard Drive Not Detected

Associate
I bought the Hitachi 2TB Touro DX3 USB Desktop Hard Drive, put the majority of my files on it over a few days and that was all fine, went to America, plugged it in, all fine... for a few day, now it isn't detected, when I plug it in or unplug it there is a sound to show it is detected, it is detected in device manager and says it is working correctly, but has no drive letter, in Disk Manager (Windows 7) it shows Disk 1 as an un-initialised hard drive, I go to initialise it, but there is a I/O device error, can't run programs like scandisk or checkdisk (whatever it is called) for error checking, because it has no drive letter, most windows programs I have tried to use to check the disk can't because it isn't in the list of drives, I used DFT for windows, the first time I did a quick check and it said that the SmartSelfTest passed but the read error check failed, that was yesterday, today I did an extended test which still only took a second, it says the readerrorcheck has passed but the smartselftest says electrical element failure, I redid the quick test and now it says readerrorcheck passed but smartselftest fail-read element failure, did a surface long test and it shows read test passed again but surface test failed.

Tried Ubuntu on USB but hard drive wasn't detected, tried MiniTool Partition but it isn't detected.

Got SeaTools for Windows, Short Drive Self Test passed, Short Generic Failed, the long test says it can make repairs but only on seagate and maxtor drives, so I didn't try it, currently downloading DiscWizard and Parted Magic iso to try.

Basically I assume I can get a replacement hard drive but I won't be back in the UK for a couple months and I need these files, anyone know if they will recover the files or if I have to try to do that myself? and if I have to does anyone know a better way than what I am trying or have tried?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom